Return to General Talk

home gym

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: home gym

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
JTWood wrote:kilowho?

Yeah... what the heck is a kilogram?

I think that's code for drug measurements.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Finding some good deals on Craiglist for Bowflex. Do it or?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:07 pm

I wouldn't do it. Buy a Bowflex and you're locked into the same set of exercises over and over again. Plus you're going to get darn sick of being stuck in that one room of the house every time you want to work out. Personally I'd just buy a nice rack of dumbbells and a bench.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:10 pm

if it's a good deal, why not? a low risk investment. even if he buys free weights, he'll still be using the same room to work out in so i don't know why that's such an issue.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Yeah a decent bench and dumbells will still run me about $500 I would imagine (since wife needs her little weights as well). If I could get something that I can use to get an entire body workout then the extra $ might be worth it.

We are planning on converting our garage into a home gym. Set up a small TV, my old PC, maybe even add a cardio machine like a stationary bike or a treadmill or something. It is a very good space and I feel like we'll really use it a lot especially in the winter time.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:20 pm

I know nothing about Bow flex. I just have a free weight set in my spare room but sometimes I drag my dumb bells in front of the TV on occasion to do curls and whatnot. I think thats what Sim was saying about a machine, can't really drag the bow flex out to the living room to lift a little while watching the ball game. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:21 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:if it's a good deal, why not? a low risk investment. even if he buys free weights, he'll still be using the same room to work out in so i don't know why that's such an issue.

All right, I'll just confess that I'm speaking from experience here. I house-sitted a guy's house with my wife for almost 2 weeks a few years back. He owned a bowflex that was in the guest room, along with a few dumbbells. I've been lifting weight regularly since I was in junior high, I enjoy it. This wasn't even my house and I couldn't sit in that room long enough to work out with that machine. I would take the dumbbells outside, or to another room to work out there, while I watched TV.

In any case, that was my experience. I didn't care for the motion, because I didn't feel a real "pump" after I was done, like I do with bars and dumbbells. And I hated sitting in one place the whole time, staring at an empty wall while I was working out. The bowflex thing just would not work out for me.

Low risk investment? Even if it's free a bowflex will be a monstrous hassle moving into and out of a house, much less getting it home.

Just mho and my $.02
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Yoda wrote:We are planning on converting our garage into a home gym. Set up a small TV, my old PC, maybe even add a cardio machine like a stationary bike or a treadmill or something. It is a very good space and I feel like we'll really use it a lot especially in the winter time.

Thats the way to go. If you make it a room you'd enjoy to be in even when your not exercising you'll probably use it more. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Metroid wrote:
Yoda wrote:We are planning on converting our garage into a home gym. Set up a small TV, my old PC, maybe even add a cardio machine like a stationary bike or a treadmill or something. It is a very good space and I feel like we'll really use it a lot especially in the winter time.

Thats the way to go. If you make it a room you'd enjoy to be in even when your not exercising you'll probably use it more. ;-D

Maybe get a pool table? Wife will probably override that decision though. :-/
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Yoda wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Maybe get a pool table? Wife will probably override that decision though. :-/

How bout a stripper pole....she wouldn't mind that would she? Then you could get her Carmen Electra's Strip Aerobics! :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk