home gym - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

home gym

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

home gym

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:33 am

So we are converting part of our space into a workout room. I used to lift heavily for 10+ years but have not since I got married 5 years ago (funny how that works). Anyway, I don't really have the time to go to the gym and wanted to buy a home gym. I'm not trying to get ripped or huge, just get a little stronger and tighten up.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bowflex equipment? Looks like you can do just about any basic weight training with the machine and I figured with no interest for two years, we would pay $50-60/mth which is equivalent to a gym membership.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: home gym

Postby J35J » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:57 am

Yoda wrote:So we are converting part of our space into a workout room. I used to lift heavily for 10+ years but have not since I got married 5 years ago (funny how that works). Anyway, I don't really have the time to go to the gym and wanted to buy a home gym. I'm not trying to get ripped or huge, just get a little stronger and tighten up.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bowflex equipment? Looks like you can do just about any basic weight training with the machine and I figured with no interest for two years, we would pay $50-60/mth which is equivalent to a gym membership.

I've got an older bowflex and I've got no complaints. It does what I want it to do.....when I use it. :-o :-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Some dumbells, weights, and a good bench work for everything but my legs for me.

And they're not $800. :-) :-D :-b ;-) :-] :-B B-) O:-) ;-D :-° :-o }:-) ;-7 8-o :-? :-L :*) :-S :^ :-* :-{ :-X X-I %-6 :-P !+) :-/ :,-( :~( :-t :-[ :-C ;-D

Sorry... My wife's c
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:28 pm

JTWood wrote:Sorry... My wife's c

What about it?

Were we talking about exercise equipment, not spousal anatomy. :-S :-S :-S

;-7 ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:47 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
JTWood wrote:Sorry... My wife's c

What about it?

Were we talking about exercise equipment, not spousal anatomy. :-S :-S :-S

;-7 ;-7

haha... she was harassing me about using smilies, so I started clicking them all, then I started typing about her, so she reached over me and tried to close the browser. i hurried up and hit submit before I could finish explaining the story.

:-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:53 pm

i got a bowflex sport. got it at amazon for 299 + 100 gift card during the secret sale last summer (incredible deal, btw). i used it a lot, and it's okay but if you can, just get free weights. i did half a years worth of HIT on it as recommended by dr. darden and bowflex. i didn't get the results i wanted, so i switched to a 3-day split workout and got much more results out of it. however, i am spending much more time per workout session on the split routine than the full body HIT. after about a year's worth of usage, i would choose free weights if i had to do it all over again. the power rod takes a while to figure out how to use it effectively, because there is no negative resistance like free weights due to the lack of gravity. therefore, it's really important to do disciplined reps, with correct form and slow cadence; something like 3 seconds up, 3 seconds down. if you really want a bowflex, look at craigslist or something. i heard tons of people never use it and it's just rotting away in their garages. they'll be happy to give you a great deal on it i bet. the good thing about bowflex over bench and dumbells is that you can also do leg exercises (if you get the model with leg extension addon). it's not that effective, but it does various leg exercises like leg curls, leg extensions, squats, deadlifts, leg press, calf raises, etc.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:05 pm

I would like to buy some exercise equipment, but we don't have any space to put it in.

I have lost 5kg from eating better (from 100kg to 95kg), and it looks like I have to start exercising to get to the 88-89-90 range where I'd like to be.

We have a stationary bike from the 1970s :-D , and that's about it. It measures your speed in kiloponds and watts :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S ?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:10 pm

kilowho?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:43 am

I have no experience with Bowflex, but its probably more than you need. Dumbbells & an adjustable bench are the best option IMO, and if you're space-constrained, those adjustable dumbbells are awesome. For lower body, you can do everything you need with the weights, one of those big rubber balls (a firm one), and some Therabands.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:45 pm

JTWood wrote:kilowho?

Yeah... what the heck is a kilogram?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk