Saltalamacchia vs. Teagarden vs. Laird (vs. others) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Saltalamacchia vs. Teagarden vs. Laird (vs. others)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Saltalamacchia vs. Teagarden vs. Laird (vs. others)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Five players fighting for two positions: Salty, Teagarden, Catalanotto, Laird, and Blalock. Texas has two young catchers worthy of starting, but then there's Laird, whose career has had somewhat of a revival this year. But Salty's still got a ton of potential and Teagarden's been raking in the minors and majors since he was drafted. Salty can play 1B but there's a logjam there between him, Blalock, and Catalanotto.

So who will be the starting C, backup C, and starting 1B in '09?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Saltalamacchia vs. Teagarden vs. Laird (vs. others)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:24 pm

You also forgot about Max Ramirez and Chris Davis.

Then there's a logjam at OF/DH with Hamilton, Bradley, Byrd, Murphy, Cruz, and Boggs.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:44 pm

rookies and cream wrote:You also forgot about Max Ramirez and Chris Davis.

Then there's a logjam at OF/DH with Hamilton, Bradley, Byrd, Murphy, Cruz, and Boggs.

Oh yeah, Max Ramirez.... :-/ Forgot about him. And I think that Davis is most likely going to play 3B next season. There's no other option but Blalock, and I thought that Washington intended to convert him to a full-time 1B.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby DSheppard » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Teagarden has been on fire. 5 homeruns already in like 30 at bats and hes great defensively.

Anyway, as someone who checks rangers news multiple times per day, Ill give the breakdown as I see it.

Davis: 100% lock to start everyday. 3b or 1b is up in the air though.
Cat: Has shown no problem with his role, at least publicly. Very likely a bench guy and injury reserve.
Blalock: Big decision on if they pick up his option. If he is on the team he will start, probably at 1b, but we will see if they decide to keep him.
Max: The rangers do not appear to consider him for the longterm C role given their options. If Bradley is not re-signed, Max will very likely be given a real shot at the everyday DH and backup C role. If bradley is retained, he would likely go to AAA for at least the start of 09.

Catcher.. is complicated. You cant look at each player individually really. I think it is very very likely a trade will be made. Laird has openly complained several times about playing time, and said he thinks he will be traded. I think its pretty likely if anyone buys into laird as an everyday catcher and gives decent value. Catching FA options are slim, so maybe. Teagarden has impressed greatly in his MLB debut. Salty... I dont think the rangers are worried about his offense, but if they have to choose between him and teagarden, I think they go with teagarden.

But teagarden is also a viable trade option, the redsox were said to like him a lot at the deadline, and maybe his offensive showing in his mlb debut will increase that interest

Bottom line I think one of the catchers is traded and the situation becomes, obviously, clearer.

scenario 1: Laird is traded, salty and teagarden compete for starting job. I give the edge to teagarden, with salty backing up and perhaps finding some time at DH.
scenario 2: Salty is traded, competition between laird and teagarden. I think laird would be favored with teagarden getting a little more playing time than your average backup.
scenario 3: Teagarden is traded, competition between laird and salty. Ditto above.

Anyway fantasy wise im sure it will become more clear by draft time, a trade pretty much has to happen.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:51 pm

I'd like to see the Sox trade Bowden for Salty (or Teagarden), that's a win/win for both teams.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Taylor T. just tied Lairds YTD HR total in only 35 AB's (compared to 318) 8-o
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:33 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Taylor T. just tied Lairds YTD HR total in only 35 AB's (compared to 318) 8-o

Thats crazy ill be looking more into him next year

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby B-Chad » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:45 am

I would think the Rangers would like to start Teagarden at catcher given his blend of power and presence at the plate as well as his defensive skills behind it. That said Salty has struggled this year, and if they still believe in him behind the plate, Teagarden could probably fetch the most on the open market. Even if they deal Salty or Teagarden, I wouldn't rule out Laird getting dealt as well (and vice versa), because Max Ramirez is still kicking around. What I don't think will happen, unless Ramirez or Salty is moved to 1st base, is that they'll keep all three young catchers and just deal Laird. That would leave them with a log jam at catcher still, and now allow them to get help elsewhere.

The Sox would actually make as great trade partners because of the number of arms they have. Masterson, Buchholz, Bowden namely. They also already have guys in the rotation preventing all three from being in the starting rotation. Could be a real win-win for both teams if they can strike a pitcher for catcher deal. That said there are always teams looking to improve the catching position, and very few are trully set. The Rangers should really be able to help add to what is already a great farm system by dealing at least 1 of their young catchers and by dealing Laird.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DSheppard » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55 am

Teagarden's start is crazy, especially after his bad minor league year (hes been good offensively before of course).
6 homeruns and 17 rbi in 12 games at the bottom of the order, .361 average, 1.397 ops.

I wonder how many catchers have had a 40 at bat stretch of that quality at all this year.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ILoveBush » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:40 pm

Do people in Texas question Max Ramirez's bat? He killed minor league pitching the past two years. Will they find him 300+ ABs next year between 1b, DH, and C?

Trying to decide how to value him in a dynasty leage.

Thanks.
Dave not George W
ILoveBush
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers