Ervin in 09... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ervin in 09...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ervin in 09...

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:34 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm expecting more of the same as well. The hiccups with his command, though existent, have really been few and far between. The thing I'd nitpick on is that his HR rate is still a bit up there, but even that has improved, as well as the fact that he's been stingier in allowing walks to avoid any further damage. He's not quite as sharp on day games still, but I think he's improved in that regard too. More importantly, Ervin's K rate is back up again as he's wasting less pitches. If I could hazard to guess, both Billingsley and Ervin will go around the same round and won't be around by the end of the 8th round, at the very least.

I agree with the value. Ervin and BIllingsley should go around the same time. If I had to guess, I'd say 6th round.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:51 am

Guess its not a bad association (Ervin and Bills) as far as draft position is concerned, but having been a Bills owner this year, I feel I would take him before Ervin in '09. Bills took a big step forward this year after a rough start, and I think he gets even better next year. Cut down on some walks and not go out there trying to strike every batter out and he's going to be in the top 10 before year's end.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 am

I think I'd take Bills a couple rounds earlier. He is probably a top 10 pitcher for me in 09.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:32 am

I'd probably take Ervin over Bills for next year. I feel that Ervin is gonna have more W and lower WHIP, while Bills is gonna have a lower ERA. Both will K around 200.

But in their prime, Bills is gonna be the better player.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby abrage22 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:50 am

Yoda wrote:I think I'd take Bills a couple rounds earlier. He is probably a top 10 pitcher for me in 09.

;-D exactly

bills is a top 10 pitcher, ervin isnt quite there yet. bills should go around the same rounds as guys like kaz, halladay, guys like that
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:52 am

Another Blown Save wrote:I'd probably take Ervin over Bills for next year. I feel that Ervin is gonna have more W and lower WHIP, while Bills is gonna have a lower ERA. Both will K around 200.

But in their prime, Bills is gonna be the better player.

The only advantage Ervin has over Bills this year was his WHIP. Both have similar #s in W and K rate. Bills has a sharper growth path since he is two years younger than Ervin so I'm not sure why you would take Ervin but...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:58 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm expecting more of the same as well. The hiccups with his command, though existent, have really been few and far between. The thing I'd nitpick on is that his HR rate is still a bit up there, but even that has improved, as well as the fact that he's been stingier in allowing walks to avoid any further damage. He's not quite as sharp on day games still, but I think he's improved in that regard too. More importantly, Ervin's K rate is back up again as he's wasting less pitches. If I could hazard to guess, both Billingsley and Ervin will go around the same round and won't be around by the end of the 8th round, at the very least.

I agree with the value. Ervin and BIllingsley should go around the same time. If I had to guess, I'd say 6th round.

Yeah, I'd say 6th round as well.

As far as WHIP goes, the advantage in WHIP to Ervin is made greater because of that suspect April Billingsley posted where his command was totally off kilter when it was. Ervin has been more consistent in cutting down walks than Bills has, but the latter has made great strides with that as the season progressed. I'd take Billingsley over Ervin next season because of the NL advantage and the fact he's starting to induce the groundballs when he isn't getting the K, but both deserve to be separated by only a couple of draft picks next year.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:19 am

Yoda wrote:I think I'd take Bills a couple rounds earlier. He is probably a top 10 pitcher for me in 09.

Draft position will be similar. End of the season value will be all Billingsley. I agree with top 10 value, he's getting better every year.
Granted Bill's has arguably been a top 10-15 pitcher this year.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:44 am

Who has a better season next year, Ervin or Lackey? Total letdown last night against the A's and his last several starts have been mediocre at best.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Hard to say, but I anticipate that Ervin and Lackey will within the same round range. If Ervin keeps improving, I'd say he's better than Lackey in '09.

As for Lackey, he typically owns Oakland but two things were against him last night: he wasn't throwing first pitch strikes as often as he does and two, the location of his secondary offerings was just off. I'd say that's been somewhat indicative of why he's regressed more than naturally in the second half.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers