Ervin in 09... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ervin in 09...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ervin in 09...

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:50 am

What a season he's having so far. As a $5 keeper next year, I have to hold on to him. I am concerned, however. His numbers in the minors weren't overly dominating, and he's had some rough seasons in the bigs.

I'm curious what you guys think of him. Has he turned things around, or was 08 a special year for him leading to a disappointing 09?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Ervin in 09...

Postby J35J » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:30 am

He's a hard one to figure out. He's got very solid stuff but just hasn't put it together, mainly thanks to his inconsistant command. His command this year has be very good so if he's got that put in check then you can definately count on another great season and many good seasons to come.

With that said, in 4 of the 6 months he has played in this year he has a 3.99ERA and a 1.21WHIP. When you add in his stellar April and August then you get his very good season totals.

Anyway, I likely won't own him in any of my leagues next year. Not that I don't like him, because I think he can be very good, I just think there will likely be others who like him a little more than I do.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:19 am

Yeah, I have to agree with J here. I just don't see him as being all that reliable and there will definitely be someone who will overpay for him.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby markj11 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:30 am

I always look for bargains in the SP department and I don't see him as one next year.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:47 am

I think he will be roughly the same as this year. HIs biggest problem was pitching on the road and HRs. He has been been very consistent both at home and on the road. Also got HR under control. He has maintained great K and BB ratios all season so if he continues this trend then there is no reason why he can't get better. A lot of people forget that he is still only 25 and was considered a top prospect at one point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby markj11 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:27 am

markj11 wrote:I always look for bargains in the SP department and I don't see him as one next year.

By this, I mean he will perform at the level in which he is drafted, you will get what you pay for. Whereas, I like to draft SP's later and get more than I pay for. For example: Ervin Santana 08.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:43 am

markj11 wrote:
markj11 wrote:I always look for bargains in the SP department and I don't see him as one next year.

By this, I mean he will perform at the level in which he is drafted, you will get what you pay for. Whereas, I like to draft SP's later and get more than I pay for. For example: Ervin Santana 08.

For me, it really depends. A lot of people might think that Ervin won't keep it up either so if he falls to where I am comfortable then I would definitely take him. I have no idea where he will be ranked at this point but it will really depend on the situation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:39 pm

I think he'll be a top 10 SP next year.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm expecting more of the same as well. The hiccups with his command, though existent, have really been few and far between. The thing I'd nitpick on is that his HR rate is still a bit up there, but even that has improved, as well as the fact that he's been stingier in allowing walks to avoid any further damage. He's not quite as sharp on day games still, but I think he's improved in that regard too. More importantly, Ervin's K rate is back up again as he's wasting less pitches. If I could hazard to guess, both Billingsley and Ervin will go around the same round and won't be around by the end of the 8th round, at the very least.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby abrage22 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:53 pm

I think he'll be solid next year. not nearly as dominant as this year, but i think he'll still be a good fantasy pitcher, prabably not quite top 15 though.
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers