Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:33 pm

Woo hoo! The government's just giving away our money to poor decision-makers left and right. Okay, maybe it's not a bailout this time, but when you look at the terms of the loans, it's essentially that.

Freep.com wrote:WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration took a step Tuesday toward backing up to $50 billion in loans sought by the auto industry on the same day that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she'd push for approval of the aid package.
...
Although $25 billion in loans to automakers for retooling costs was approved as part of last year's energy bill, automakers, suppliers and the UAW have sought $50 billion in recent months as the best chance to help the industry survive one of its toughest periods, squeezed by high energy prices, soaring costs for new technology and sickly balance sheets at Detroit automakers.

Automakers have suggested making $50 billion available over three years, with $25 billion in the first year, $15 billion in the second and $10 billion in the third. Companies would pay an interest rate close to 5%, rather than rates approaching 20% that commercial lenders would charge. The full $50 billion would cost the government $7.5 billion to launch.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm confused the U.S.A. are Capitalists and China is Communists or do I have that reversed. O:-)
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Image
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm confused the U.S.A. are Capitalists and China is Communists or do I have that reversed. O:-)

It all does seem backwards, doesn't it? :-S
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby bleach168 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Election year politics. Michigan could go either way.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:39 pm

hopefully this will help all the CEO's get bonuses...however, on the flipside, i think the UAW is killing the American car companies. most of my family works/worked as a UAW employee and would probably choke me for saying that, but at this point the UAW is doing more harm than good. I spent a few summers working on the line and while it wasnt easy work, it's not all that difficult either and the hourly salaries some of these people draw far exceed the level of work they do (but as i mentioned the CEO's are raping the companies too). having exposure to both domestic and foriegn OEM's it just seems that we're doing things wrong on so many levels. one example that was shared about a certain japanese OEM was that the factory workers voted down a pay raise because they new it would be bad for the company long term...no way that would ever happen here
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:hopefully this will help all the CEO's get bonuses...however, on the flipside, i think the UAW is killing the American car companies. most of my family works/worked as a UAW employee and would probably choke me for saying that, but at this point the UAW is doing more harm than good. I spent a few summers working on the line and while it wasnt easy work, it's not all that difficult either and the hourly salaries some of these people draw far exceed the level of work they do (but as i mentioned the CEO's are raping the companies too). having exposure to both domestic and foriegn OEM's it just seems that we're doing things wrong on so many levels. one example that was shared about a certain japanese OEM was that the factory workers voted down a pay raise because they new it would be bad for the company long term...no way that would ever happen here

Unions harming businesses by artificially inflating the price of labor through supply restrictions?

Never heard of such a thing. ;-7
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:18 pm

The market works!
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby RugbyD » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Freep.com wrote:WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration took a step Tuesday toward backing up to $50 billion in loans sought by the auto industry on the same day that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she'd push for approval of the aid package.
...
Although $25 billion in loans to automakers for retooling costs was approved as part of last year's energy bill, automakers, suppliers and the UAW have sought $50 billion in recent months as the best chance to help the industry survive one of its toughest periods, squeezed by high energy prices, soaring costs for new technology and sickly balance sheets at Detroit automakers and the fact that they just plain suck at what they do.

Automakers have suggested making $50 billion available over three years, with $25 billion in the first year, $15 billion in the second and $10 billion in the third. Companies would pay an interest rate close to 5%, rather than rates approaching 20% that commercial lenders would charge. The full $50 billion would cost the government $7.5 billion to launch.


fixed ;-D
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: Auto Makers Next to Get Federal Funds

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:48 pm

:-P
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 14:30 hours
(and 95 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact