Thoughts on Erik Bedard next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Erik Bedard next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Erik Bedard next year?

Postby Yankeesin05 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 pm

I was just curious where you guys would rank Erik Bedard for the 2009 season. Does his injury laden season this year deplete his value a bunch? Would you rank him ahead or behind a guy like Carlos Zambrano?
Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Erik Bedard next year?

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:46 pm

definitely behind Zambrano.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 pm

I expected big things from Bedard this season, so I probably won't sniff him next season after the burn he gave me.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:37 am

I always avoid injury risk pitchers, unless I can get them REALLY late, which would not be the case with Bedard.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 pm

bigken117 wrote:I expected big things from Bedard this season, so I probably won't sniff him next season after the burn he gave me.

Ditto. Traded for him early on in the season and he's been nothing but a disappointment. His health is one thing, but apparently his attitude about pitching in Seattle is another. If he's available late, I'll take a chance on him but I imagine someone will draft him early and I won't have to worry about it. Either way, I definitely draft Zambrano ahead of him...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby horatio » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:09 pm

I owned Bedard the last two years so I had a bit of a mancrush on him going into this season but, fortunately he was drafted too soon for my tastes this year. A Tim Brown article from March of this year really made me question his work ethic and I had a strong feeling that he might milk his injuries and just sit on his fat new contract, here's the excerpt that made me figure that I wouldn't draft him next year unless he happens to fall to the late rounds:

.....the request was to describe his responsibility pitching from the top of the rotation when the expectations are so high.

“I have no idea,” he said. “I don’t have any.”

No idea? Or no responsibility?

“No responsibility,” he said.

Even in a fantasy baseball sense, I don't really want guys on my squad who feel they have "no responsibility" to their team and fans (and of course, us fantasy baseball players)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=t ... o&type=lgn
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:12 pm

He is a serious injury risk and a huge head case. He has been very overrated based on a few good months last year and I expect someone to jump on him early next year as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 pm

horatio wrote:I owned Bedard the last two years so I had a bit of a mancrush on him going into this season but, fortunately he was drafted too soon for my tastes this year. A Tim Brown article from March of this year really made me question his work ethic and I had a strong feeling that he might milk his injuries and just sit on his fat new contract, here's the excerpt that made me figure that I wouldn't draft him next year unless he happens to fall to the late rounds:

.....the request was to describe his responsibility pitching from the top of the rotation when the expectations are so high.

“I have no idea,” he said. “I don’t have any.”

No idea? Or no responsibility?

“No responsibility,” he said.

Even in a fantasy baseball sense, I don't really want guys on my squad who feel they have "no responsibility" to their team and fans (and of course, us fantasy baseball players)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=t ... p;type=lgn

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with his work ethic. It's tough as a fan to really know what the deal is. He's been pretty good when healthy, but the injuries definitely suck. Whether he's milking them or not is tough to say, but the whole "warrior" thing and playing through injuries is pretty stupid too. Seems like often times you hurt yourself more and your team in the process.

And he doesn't have any fat new contract. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 pm

This year has really been a snakebit one for Bedard, not just the shoulder/arm-related injuries but the nagging knacks that have set him back. Personally, I didn't draft Bedard this season in any of my leagues just because he'd go too high for me. I always liked him as a late round flier or a mid-draft pickup like I made for Bedard last year in my dynasty league. I think it's the career high IP mark coupled with his track record of injuries derailing his previous campaigns that didn't raise a red flag for me but I just managed to avoid drafting him.

Two things I'd reflect on next year: 1) whether or not Seattle toyed too much with Bedard's mechanics (no Leo Mazzone, which of course helped Bedard with almost a year and a half of dominant form) and 2) where his mechanics and velocity lie for next season. It seemed to me this year that his control wasn't precise this year and when he needed to make a pitch, it would lead to a homerun. Of course, the timing in between injuries may have been sullied but that's another thing to consider for next season.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby horatio » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm

And he doesn't have any fat new contract.

--- Well, I was referring to the $7 Million one year deal that Seattle gave him after he made $3.4 million in 2007 with the Orioles.
It's a little confusing to me because I'm not well versed in the ins and outs of player contracts, but the reports I've read say that he's not a free agent until after the 2009 season, but his contract was only through 2008 - so how does that work? Is he obligated to play for the Mariners through 2009 but his pay rate hasn't been set yet?

Nevertheless, $7 million up from $3.4 strikes me as being pretty phat.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers