Pick up Pablo!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pick up Pablo!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pick up Pablo!!!!

Postby Vitreous » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:25 am

I did pick him up as soon as he was called up and his numbers have been great.

However, I'm curious if anyone has seen him play. The stats list him at 5'11" and 246 lbs. Benjie Molina is listed as 5'11" and 225 lbs. How the heck does he play 3B?

Vit
Vitreous
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:14 am

Vitreous wrote:I did pick him up as soon as he was called up and his numbers have been great.

However, I'm curious if anyone has seen him play. The stats list him at 5'11" and 246 lbs. Benjie Molina is listed as 5'11" and 225 lbs. How the heck does he play 3B?

Vit

well first of all theres no effing way molina is only 225, that guy is huge

about pablo, hes actually pretty athletic for a guy his size and runs pretty well (he actually has a couple infield hits already and he gets down the line pretty quickly for a big guy). I'm sure being young helps with this and it might become more difficult for him to stick at 3rd as he ages, i'm pretty sure most his playing time next year will be split between 1st and catcher.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:51 am

I picked him up on 3 of my teams a couple weeks ago. I've been keeping an eye on him for a couple years now...pretty solid bat. Won't overwhelm you with stats, just yet, but he should be able to improve his power stroke over the next couple years.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby ILoveBush » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:26 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
B-Chad wrote:Nate Schierholtz has also been raking since he got called up after coming back from the Olympics. He was raking in AAA and was ranked in the Giants top 5 prospects by Baseball America. Doesn't have great power potential, but in leagues that have more cats then standard 5x5 he hits a ton of triples and doubles and doesn't strikeout much at all.

he actually does have some power potential imo, though AT&T is not an easy park to hit jacks for left-handers... he hit 18 in 350 ABs in AAA and crushed one yesterday

The write up from BA says he has 30 homer potential. For some reason I can't seem to get that excited about him though. There isn't the buzz that usually surrounds a top 5 prospect within an organization who starts out hot.

Anyone have more scoop on schierholtz?
Dave not George W
ILoveBush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Old_Style » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:48 am

Vitreous wrote:I did pick him up as soon as he was called up and his numbers have been great.

Vit

I was wondering about this too. I haven't seen Sandoval play at all this year, but I always imagined it as Prince Fielder manning the hot corner. :-D

Hey GiantsFan, I was looking at his listed weight on Baseball Reference and noticed a pretty sharp spike from his minor league days to the majors. Any chance this guy balloons up like Mo Vaughn?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cnote23 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:52 pm

ILoveBush wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
B-Chad wrote:Nate Schierholtz has also been raking since he got called up after coming back from the Olympics. He was raking in AAA and was ranked in the Giants top 5 prospects by Baseball America. Doesn't have great power potential, but in leagues that have more cats then standard 5x5 he hits a ton of triples and doubles and doesn't strikeout much at all.

he actually does have some power potential imo, though AT&T is not an easy park to hit jacks for left-handers... he hit 18 in 350 ABs in AAA and crushed one yesterday

The write up from BA says he has 30 homer potential. For some reason I can't seem to get that excited about him though. There isn't the buzz that usually surrounds a top 5 prospect within an organization who starts out hot.

Anyone have more scoop on schierholtz?

As far as I know they do like him I think there is a chance for him to start next year but I don't know about the 30 HR. he has decent power I think a 20HR guy but a good hitter could knock in 85-95 RBI's!!
cnote23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafecaster
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby moose32 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:35 pm

two quickies. would you rather have A.J Pierzinski or Pablo for the rest of the season? Does Pablo have Soto potential for next season?
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:27 pm

moose32 wrote:two quickies. would you rather have A.J Pierzinski or Pablo for the rest of the season? Does Pablo have Soto potential for next season?

may be the homer in me, but i'd take pablo for the rest of the season...i think he can sustain a pretty high average and throw in some jacks as well, he doesn't have the greatest patience and tends to swing at a lot of pitches, but he also squares up pretty much everything and hits it hard as can be seen by his 25% LD.

i'm not sure he has soto potential, but i think he has the ability to be a solid option at catcher with some pretty good upside next year
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby cnote23 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:22 pm

moose32 wrote:two quickies. would you rather have A.J Pierzinski or Pablo for the rest of the season? Does Pablo have Soto potential for next season?

that is kinda funny i just dumped AJ for Pablo in my dynasty league!Awnser is yes pablo is really hitting well right now and i like him the rest of the way.
cnote23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafecaster
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby B-Chad » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:23 pm

I might be wrong, but I think that 30 HR power would be a reasonable ceiling... if not for him playing in AT&T. Does anyone know if BA takes into account ballparks when describing a players power ceiling or do they project power assuming an "average" ballpark per se?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers