Liriano - is he back? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Liriano - is he back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Liriano - is he back?

Postby thatguy27 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:33 pm

I realize that after absolutely dominating minor league batters before his call-up, most thought that Liriano would be a solid fantasy play. However, most had serious doubts about his ability to rekindle the magic of his '06 campaign. I think many were looking at him as a likely solid third pitcher, but few were expecting to perform like an ace.

Is it possible that he's finally returned to his '06 form?

Aside from his K/9, his numbers in his 7 starts since being called up are actually better than those he posted in '06:

(through 7 innings tonight, assuming he gets the W)

7 Starts, 5-0, 1.23 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 38 Ks, 7.8 K/9, 2.25 BB/9

15 '06 Starts, 11-3, 1.97 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, 110 Ks, 10.1 K/9, 2.6 BB/9

So, clearly his numbers have been sick, well on par with his '06 numbers save for his K/9, which has improved over his past 2 outings.

Is this the Liriano of old? Where can we expect to see him drafted next season? Has he fixed his delivery so that it makes him less prone to injury?

Also, I just looked and saw that they brought him out for the 8th and he gave up a homer, a hit, and a walk, so the numbers I posted above aren't quite as sweet... but I don't feel like going back and recalculating them.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 777
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Colorado

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby ataraxia » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:09 pm

I think he'll be highly touted and go around the 8-10th round next season.

I'm not completely sold on him fully regaining his '06 form, but he's looked great and is a fantastic pick for next year, I feel.
Image
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 461
Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby matthos » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:55 am

The dude can flat out pitch. He's 23. The sky is the limit. Bet
matthos
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 228
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby King Tim » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:19 pm

matthos wrote:The dude can flat out pitch. He's 23. The sky is the limit. Bet


Agree. Ride him the rest of this year. He's back to '06 form next April.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 695
Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby MEK4178 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:08 pm

The only problem is that his velocity is not nearly the same as it was. His fastball is in the 89-93 range instead of 94-96 range in '06. His numbers have been great since he's been called up but i that is mostly due to the fact that his 7 or so starts have come against really poor offenses. i'm still waiting to see how he responds to some of the top AL lineups.
MEK4178
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 141
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby sblinyy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:15 pm

MEK4178 wrote:The only problem is that his velocity is not nearly the same as it was. His fastball is in the 89-93 range instead of 94-96 range in '06. His numbers have been great since he's been called up but i that is mostly due to the fact that his 7 or so starts have come against really poor offenses. i'm still waiting to see how he responds to some of the top AL lineups.


His velocity could be down because he has matured and is pitching smarter. Maybe he has realized that you don't have to throw 95 the whole game. As long as he is effective I don't care how low his velocity is.
Image

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 403
Joined: 1 Dec 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby matthos » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:29 pm

I should have kept him over Hamels. I know to many that sound ludicrous but I bet he performs better next season.
matthos
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 228
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby zhutou » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:47 am

matthos wrote:I should have kept him over Hamels. I know to many that sound ludicrous but I bet he performs better next season.


how much are you willing to bet?
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1479
Joined: 24 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:02 am

matthos wrote:I should have kept him over Hamels. I know to many that sound ludicrous but I bet he performs better next season.


you sir, are insane.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Liriano - is he back?

Postby matthos » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Well, I'm glad you say that because I kept Hamels. Perhaps it's only a man-crush. Liriano was sick in 06. If he get back there, he could be as good as anyone.

Hamels is sexy too. ;-)
matthos
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 228
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Oct. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Detroit at Baltimore
(5:37 pm)
Kansas City at LA Angels
(9:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact