More More St. Louis Craziness - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

More More St. Louis Craziness

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

More More St. Louis Craziness

Postby RugbyD » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:25 pm

http://www.stlamerican.com/articles/200 ... news03.txt
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

“We’ve been battling since June,” Brown said. “The (police) board is for the birds, when it comes to citizens. I talked to one board member, but he was very insulting. They just closed the door in our face.”

Valentine wants an apology from the department and compensation for the damage done to her psyche and home.

“She’s scared, and when she hears loud noises outside she thinks it’s the police coming in her house,” Brown said.

[...]

“When they realized they’d been had, why didn’t they just get everyone’s information and write a report for a complaint number and take it to the City counselor, who could get the right department to pay for damages?” Broughton said.

Instead, Valentine and Brown said the officers threatened to the take the elderly lady’s house when they left.

anyone care to explain how this falls under the rubric of "Protect and Serve"?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: More More St. Louis Craziness

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:34 pm

Yeah it's just crazy. Seems like more and more of this is going on around the country... :-/
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Ahh... I love living in an unincorporated portion of a suburban St. Louis county. B-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:34 pm

The two articles contradict themselves on a few points (for example, one said the cops broke a safe, the other says they took it).

Anyway, a mistake was made. The lady will (should) contact the right department and get the money to replace whatever was messed up. The police had a warrant and the lady has 2 kids, so I don't just dismiss this completely. Only way I could do that is if I thought they busted their way in (complete with smoke bomb) simply for kicks, and I have a hard time buying that. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Madison wrote:The two articles contradict themselves on a few points (for example, one said the cops broke a safe, the other says they took it).

Anyway, a mistake was made. The lady will (should) contact the right department and get the money to replace whatever was messed up. The police had a warrant and the lady has 2 kids, so I don't just dismiss this completely. Only way I could do that is if I thought they busted their way in (complete with smoke bomb) simply for kicks, and I have a hard time buying that. :-b

The problem is that there is no response from the dept and thus far no intention of paying restitution for a botched raid. This is a regular occurrence among PDs when they screw up. The screw ups are routinely due to police carelessness, highly questionable CI use, and in some cases fraudulently obtained warrants. The immediate response from the PDs is to deny, obstruct, or claim that they should not be responsible for incidents in the course of official police business.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

RugbyD wrote:The problem is that there is no response from the dept and thus far no intention of paying restitution for a botched raid. This is a regular occurrence among PDs when they screw up. The screw ups are routinely due to police carelessness, highly questionable CI use, and in some cases fraudulently obtained warrants. The immediate response from the PDs is to deny, obstruct, or claim that they should not be responsible for incidents in the course of official police business.

*shrug*

Looks like a screwup to me, but I don't have enough information to get emotional about it.

*shrug*

For all we know, one of her kids is a drug dealer and the intel said he was stashing stuff at his mother's. Which means the warrant was justified and correct, just bad timing or the kid got tipped off about the raid or something.

I dunno. Not enough info.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:16 pm

The SLMPD is set up very strangely. The do not report to the Mayor. They report to a Police board appointed by the Governor.
http://stlconfluence.org/article.asp?articleID=314
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Madison wrote:
RugbyD wrote:The problem is that there is no response from the dept and thus far no intention of paying restitution for a botched raid. This is a regular occurrence among PDs when they screw up. The screw ups are routinely due to police carelessness, highly questionable CI use, and in some cases fraudulently obtained warrants. The immediate response from the PDs is to deny, obstruct, or claim that they should not be responsible for incidents in the course of official police business.

For all we know, one of her kids is a drug dealer and the intel said he was stashing stuff at his mother's. Which means the warrant was justified and correct,...

You couldn't be more wrong. CIs routinely give unreliable information to save their own ass or to curry good favor that allows them to keep breaking the law on their own time. Police are often too lazy or careless to make an effort to confirm what CIs provide to them. Any of this would make the warrant unjustified. It would be par for the course if that's what happened in this case.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:The SLMPD is set up very strangely. The do not report to the Mayor. They report to a Police board appointed by the Governor.
http://stlconfluence.org/article.asp?articleID=314

quite a good recipe for a vacuum of accountability
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:22 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Madison wrote:

For all we know, one of her kids is a drug dealer and the intel said he was stashing stuff at his mother's. Which means the warrant was justified and correct,...

You couldn't be more wrong.

Really? I didn't see proof anywhere that either one of her kids isn't a drug dealer. Link please? :-)

And I was simply giving an alternative, speculating a bit since the article doesn't give any info. I have no proof either of her kids are drug dealers, but you've got no proof they aren't, so it very well could be exactly what I said, just like it could be what you said. But I won't stoop to calling you "wrong" unless I can prove it of course (which I can't).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk