Xbox 360 Price Drop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Xbox 360 Price Drop

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:07 am

Starting today.

Xbox 360 Arcade (256MB) - $199

Xbox 360 Pro (60GB) - $299

Xbox 360 Elite (120GB) - $399

Same prices for Canada. And if you are in Canada and looking to purchase a new Xbox, Future Shop is selling the Xbox Pro (20GB) and two games for the same price as the Arcade, which seems like a heck of a deal. Link
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Xbox 360 Price Drop

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:02 am

Meh I still don't think that they are worth it. I was very close to getting one until they realized that the RRD was so rampant that they had to give out 3 year warranties on every unit. Also the monthly subscription fee for online play is a huge turnoff for me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Yoda wrote:Meh I still don't think that they are worth it. I was very close to getting one until they realized that the RRD was so rampant that they had to give out 3 year warranties on every unit. Also the monthly subscription fee for online play is a huge turnoff for me.

I know I am going to sound like a total fanboy here, but I am glad you mentioned it Yoda. I don't get why people use the PS3's price in their arguments against it. I figure most people (especially buying now or since it came out) will keep their 360 for at least 3 years. With the Live subscription that's $150 you have to add onto the price. Once you do that you aren't really distancing yourself from the PS3. Also, the PS3 comes with arguably the best Blu-Ray player on the market. I bought my PS3 for the Blu Ray alone and just buy a game here or there.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:01 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Yoda wrote:Meh I still don't think that they are worth it. I was very close to getting one until they realized that the RRD was so rampant that they had to give out 3 year warranties on every unit. Also the monthly subscription fee for online play is a huge turnoff for me.

I know I am going to sound like a total fanboy here, but I am glad you mentioned it Yoda. I don't get why people use the PS3's price in their arguments against it. I figure most people (especially buying now or since it came out) will keep their 360 for at least 3 years. With the Live subscription that's $150 you have to add onto the price. Once you do that you aren't really distancing yourself from the PS3. Also, the PS3 comes with arguably the best Blu-Ray player on the market. I bought my PS3 for the Blu Ray alone and just buy a game here or there.

On top of that, PS3 is wireless out of the box. For XBox 360 you have to buy a 100 dollar wireless thing.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:44 pm

I wished i waited till now just to buy the 360 arcade instead of a wii that i bought last christmas. !+)
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby DbacksRback » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:25 pm

my 360 died on me so i regret buying it :-t

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby jfg » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm a little late to this topic, but you can get 13 month Live cards from 3rd party online retailers for 30-40 bucks all the time. I don't play online that much but people tell me it's worth it and now with Netflix it's really worth it. Right now they are 38.99 on Newegg with free shipping.

Can the Arcade stream Netflix? I would think that you'd need a hard drive as a cache but maybe I'm wrong. If you can that's a great deal if you don't care to much about downloading movies and demos. You can set up an external hard drive as a FAT drive anyway and stream your own AVI, WMV and Mp4 movies onto the 360 anyway.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:06 pm

$38.99 is a very good deal. I got mine for $41.99 at Weekley Game Deal
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:45 pm

For those with an Arcade or the Core, you should be eligible for a memory upgrade from Microsoft.

Link

Essentially you have to have an Arcade or Core console with no Hard Drive attached to it. This offer is not valid for Pro or Elite owners. The offer is either

A Refurbished 20GB HDD for $19.99 or
A Refurbished 20GB HDD + 3 Months of Xbox Live Gold for $29.99 or
A Free 512MB Memory Card (only US)

This is the solution Microsoft found to accommodate everyone in the New Xbox Experience. Getting at least the free memory card seems like a no-brainer.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jfg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Wow, that's awesome. 19.99 for the hard drive is a deal too good to pass up. I have a 20gb and I don't use it for anything but downloading demos and arcade games and it's more than enough space.

The new Arcade systems come with a memory card so this only applies to those who already had one I would think.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Next

Return to Video Games