Worth a last round flyer on AJ Burnett? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worth a last round flyer on AJ Burnett?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worth a last round flyer on AJ Burnett?

Postby flbtank » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:00 am

half a season of Burnett healthy is worth more than some garbage pitchers whole seasons.

Worth the risk?
flbtank
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:28 am

Even when he does pitch I don't think we will see the same old Burnett for a while. If you can snag him with a real late pick and stash him on your DL then I don't see any harm.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby shortsavage » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:48 pm

AJ is going to be a great $1-$3 guy this season. He should at least offer respectable numbers in the second half of 2004. A former ace who is also a K machine is never a the type that you should completely ignore, even if he has control issues.

And what other legitimate threat can you get for $1-$3? Kaz Ishii, Wayne Franklin, or Kevin Appier strike me as candidates who will float your way for that price.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby KDOGG » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:55 pm

i like ishii alot better than i do burnett so if you can snag him as a late round flier instead i would suggest doing so.
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

burnett

Postby beej-lo » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:55 pm

i just read that burnet won't be ready until may. he sounds like a good last round pick, however, i would probably drop him if there is a pitcher/hitter who gets off to a hot start. the DL would probably work though.
beej-lo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:57 pm

From Fanball:

"Pitcher A.J. Burnett's next bullpen session is scheduled for Saturday, but he may postpone the workout after experiencing some stiffness in his right elbow after his previous outing. "We might give him a couple of extra days, just give him some extra time to feel strong," pitching coach Wayne Rosenthal told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "Every time he throws, the progression changes. He's been throwing a lot, so we'll kind of back him off a little bit between pens. He threw a 13- or 14-minute pen the other day. We're going to let him build up to the next one." Burnett underwent Tommy John surgery on April 28, 2003 and is hoping to return to the rotation in May."

IMO, he's not even worth a last round pick.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby L0rdB23 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:35 pm

can't hurt u to stash him away
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gen19 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:56 pm

I wouldn't expect much out of him this year, but if you have an extra roster spot, I dont see anything wrong with stashing him away.
Gen19

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:59 pm

Personally, I would stay far, far away. Too much of an injury risk.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:51 pm

Burnett would make a fine late round sleeper pick......NEXT year.

AJ's a stud whne he is healthy, but I doubt he does a whole lot this year. Year 2 after TJ surgery is when pitchers are at full strength.

Return to Baseball Leftovers