Return to General Talk

New Google Web Browser

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Google Web Browser

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:05 am

teddy ballgame wrote:Not out for Macs yet. :-[

The only good thing about Macs are their commercials. :-b

O:-)

Feel loved, I pick on JT and his Mac all the time. Meant in good clean fun. ;-)

jfg wrote:everybody else is still using Internet Explorer and don't realize that better browsers exist.

Depends on your definition of "better". I use both IE 7 and FF3 and don't much care for FF3. Not a knock on FF3, I just don't see any benefit to using it over what I'm used to using.

And for the record, FF3 runs same speed as FF2 did on my machine (if there is a difference in speed, I haven't noticed). :-?

And I'll eventually try out this new Google browser, but not tonight. X-I
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:31 am

Amazinz wrote:Eh FF3 is still a resource whore. It still doesn't hold a candle to IE in that regard. But I use FF3 quite a bit and haven't noticed it being appreciably slower than FF2. Runs fine for me.

In my experience on my machines that I use daily (4), IE uses 25-40% more memory (private byte usage specifically) than FF3. I use both because of my development work, and ymmv but I find that FF3 is generally more responsive with a buttload of add-ons than a bare bones (no extensions/add-ons) IE.

But, there are many other variables besides the basic browser install that affect performance and resource usage, so it's difficult to compare objectively with others' experiences.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby jfg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:07 am

On an older machine FF3 is not so hot especially on Flash based sites.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:17 am

Bwanna wrote:In my experience on my machines that I use daily (4), IE uses 25-40% more memory (private byte usage specifically) than FF3.

I don't know about 25-40%. That seems like an awfully large number. You'd really have to profile it because private bytes in and of itself can be misleading (the cache is represented in the pb total). I think in terms of memory footprint you should actually find the IE's is quite bigger than FF but this isn't what I was referring to. Firefox still has the memory (re)allocation problems and performance degrades rather sharply.

Bwanna wrote:I use both because of my development work, and ymmv but I find that FF3 is generally more responsive with a buttload of add-ons than a bare bones (no extensions/add-ons) IE.

Yeah, I use FF3 a lot too. It's a great browser. For personal use, I have scenarios where I prefer both.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 am

Amazinz wrote:I don't know about 25-40%. That seems like an awfully large number. You'd really have to profile it because private bytes in and of itself can be misleading (the cache is represented in the pb total). I think in terms of memory footprint you should actually find the IE's is quite bigger than FF but this isn't what I was referring to. Firefox still has the memory (re)allocation problems and performance degrades rather sharply.

Well, regardless of how the memory is used, it is a significant resource and the more of it that is used affects performance. Those were numbers we gathered by profiling during some simulated usage scenarios for our applications over a 3 day period some when FF3 was initially released. We haven't tested with the latest FF3 updates. Many of the memory reallocation issues that caused issues with FF2 were addressed in 3, but much of the speed improvement comes from the different rendering engine....

...but who cares... again, probably too many variables to make a definitive statement about what browser is 'the best'... just use whatever blows your hair back.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:59 am

just use Safari }:-)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am

Safari is great.

I have to say, after owning a Mac and a Macbook for a year, I will probably never buy another PC again.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 am

Yeah use whatever floats your boat. I wasn't trying to get into a browser war or win anyone over to the dark side. :-b

I was just pointing out that FF has resource issues and granted they are not issues in all scenarios but FF is troublemaker on low memory systems and in certain cases dealing with video. I guess I should add the caveat that this is all IMHO. I do do a lot of memory profiling professionally but admittedly it is not in the browser world. However, I do trust my instincts in this regard.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:

just use Safari }:-)

I'm using Firefox. :^
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 am

The one thing I like about the google browser is that t uses very very little memory. I hope after a few updates they add the search bars in the right (ie Wikipedia) and develop some extensions.

Whenever I use Chrome it blocks popups so I'm not sure what you guys mean when you say it's not. What sites do you get popups? It blocks the ones I always get here, even on Firefox.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk