New Google Web Browser - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New Google Web Browser

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Google Web Browser

Postby Phatferd » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Google just came out (Beta) with a web browser. It should be pretty good. Google does a great job with almost everything they do.

http://www.google.com/chrome
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New Google Web Browser

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:54 pm

Not out for Macs yet. :-[
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:12 pm

I love the look of it but I can't switch and leave all of the add-ons I use in Firefox behind. I'm surprised they didn't go to Mac first since this is exactly what lured people to Macs: It's fast and good looking even if it isn't as customizable.

Anyway, I don't know if this is going to catch on. A lot of people who use Firefox are going to take a look at it and realize how much they'd be giving up to use it and everybody else is still using Internet Explorer and don't realize that better browsers exist. But, this would be perfect for the casual user... I just don't know if they'll ever realize that.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 pm

i never thought i'd say this but i've been looking for a firefox replacement. version 3 is slow as hell and hangs all the time on my pc. i don't want to go back to 2, but using 3 is killing my browsing experience. haven't tried chrome yet but it looks too simple for my tastes. maybe i'll hop on the opera bandwagon.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The_Show » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm liking Chrome, but I miss having Firefox block ads and the wikipedia search box in the top right-hand corner
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:34 pm

I've played with it quite a bit today and am not really impressed. OK but not enough to break me of my current habits.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:47 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i never thought i'd say this but i've been looking for a firefox replacement. version 3 is slow as hell and hangs all the time on my pc. i don't want to go back to 2, but using 3 is killing my browsing experience. haven't tried chrome yet but it looks too simple for my tastes. maybe i'll hop on the opera bandwagon.

This is the first I've heard of FF3 being slower than FF2. It's quite a bit faster for me, so I'd guess there's another problem causing FF3 to slow down for you. I did have some problems with FF3 when I first installed it over FF2 on a slower machine, but I uninstalled all versions of FF and reinstalled FF3 and it started working very well. Might be something try if you haven't already.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:56 pm

I haven't updated to Firefox 3 because one of my Amazon EC2 add-ons isn't FF3-compatible yet and so, I can't vouch for FF3 being slower/faster than FF2. It's supposed to be more efficient with resources than 2 was with handling add-ons and so, I'll take their word for it. Plus, I don't think that the EC2 plugin I have is a less important one and so, I'll upgrade.

As for Chrome, it doesn't seem too revolutionary but what could be is the single-app/site browser concept that gets thrown out as the next generation of Web organization. Not bad, at least Google is using 20% of their free time to good use.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Eh FF3 is still a resource whore. It still doesn't hold a candle to IE in that regard. But I use FF3 quite a bit and haven't noticed it being appreciably slower than FF2. Runs fine for me.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 am

When's the new Netscape Navigator coming out? :-o

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk