Shin-Soo Choo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shin-Soo Choo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shin-Soo Choo

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:34 pm

What's the history and outlook for this guy? I didn't realize he was only 26 until today.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shin-Soo Choo

Postby oddmanout7 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Shin-Soo Choo said Wednesday that he must serve two years in the Korean military beginning no later than 2010.
Choo indicated that his service time requirement could be dropped significantly if he performs well in the Olympics, but that's not a possibility given that he's on the Indians' 25-man roster and out of minor league options. "If you win any kind of medal in the Olympics, you might only have to serve four weeks," said Choo. "The Indians couldn't send me to the minors because I'm out of options. There's too much stress to worry about it now."
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

I think this might affect his outlook just a bit because he is no Ted Williams...
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:03 pm

I think I still have my Choo Choo Train sign somewhere from one of the series the Tribe came to play in Toronto in the 06 season. We got 25% off on the tickets because it was Korean Heritage weekend, even though I'm not Korean. But enough about me.

Choo's numbers are pretty decent for the amount of ABs he's had this year and he's definitely worth a roster spot in deep leagues. He'll be able to hit for a good AVG, but the power is the biggest question mark in his game. Over a full season, I think it's unlikely he'll hit 20HR and although 15HR is a possibility, that's not good enough for an OF in most league setups. Unless he starts stealing again, he doesn't have too much fantasy value. Having a great arm doesn't do much for you in fantasy if you are not a pitcher.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 223)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:15 pm

no value? i guess you mean next year. the guy is tearing it up right now...at the most important time. i just picked him up in all the leagues im still alive in, dropping nate mclouth in one of them to get room.

i just wish now i could drop prince fielder...he's been burning a roster spot for a month now that i sure could use. damn yahoo cant cut list
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Choo's numbers are pretty decent for the amount of ABs he's had this year and he's definitely worth a roster spot in deep leagues. He'll be able to hit for a good AVG, but the power is the biggest question mark in his game. Over a full season, I think it's unlikely he'll hit 20HR and although 15HR is a possibility, that's not good enough for an OF in most league setups. Unless he starts stealing again, he doesn't have too much fantasy value. Having a great arm doesn't do much for you in fantasy if you are not a pitcher.

I generally agree with this one. I think he's a fourth or fifth outfielder option in deeper formats.
Last edited by Old_Style on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 pm

I pimped this guy months ago in a Watch List.
I think I've picked him up and dropped him 3 times already, riding mini hot streaks.

If the military issue is resolved favourably in the off-season, we might see what he can really do. Every time he talks about it (that I have seen) he goes into a slump for 2 weeks. :-S :-S :-S
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Return to Baseball Leftovers