Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sabathia: A No-No, or No?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No-Hitter

Hit - No No-Hitter
27%
Error - Should be changed to No-Hitter
47%
Error but should not be changed to No-Hitter.
27%

Total votes : 30

Re: Sabathia: A No-No, or No?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:22 am

mweir145 wrote:
Old_Style wrote:They should've went to the replay booth on this one.

Wouldn't official scorers take a look at close plays like this a few times on the TV replay before making their final decision?

i was under the impression that they do, though the official scorer of this game said:

I saw it, called it immediately [and] believed it was a hit," the game's official scorer, Bob Webb, said. "I think that's a hit in every circumstance. It was a difficult play. Even if he comes up with the ball cleanly, in my estimation, he's got more than ordinary difficulty in getting the runner at first base.

so it doesnt seem like he did much review of the play
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:43 am

can the OP put a poll in? it's an error to me.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby byfrcp » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:55 am

I'd say Error but I agree it would be lame to award him a No-No after the fact. Is his team going to mob him in the locker room if it gets overturned?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:25 am

byfrcp wrote:I'd say Error but I agree it would be lame to award him a No-No after the fact. Is his team going to mob him in the locker room if it gets overturned?

Really dilutes the aura of getting a no-hitter if all these cry babies have to appeal the hit. I have Sabathia, that one hit isn't going to affect my WHIP all that much anyway! !+)
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:28 am

aren't there points leagues that award pts. for no hit performances? i've heard pt. leagues having all sort of weird categories.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tah161 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:28 am

dclark0699 wrote:
Old_Style wrote:They should've went to the replay booth on this one.

The bad thing is with something like this - and the comments Ryan Howard made a couple days ago
Ryan Howard wrote:"As far as instant replay, I don't know what's going to happen down the line. It's for home runs. That's what it is right now. I don't want to get into all that stuff as far as trying to take instant replay to every aspect of the game. But the safe or out calls are definitely important. Like the one we're focused on right now. It changed the outcome of the game."

The slippery slope is already beginning. I say less than a year before out or safe calls are reviewable....and then who knows what else.

I would hate for something like this to happen, but if they do go down that road, I think it would be best to do it like the NFL does and award each team a challenge or maybe 2 throughout the game. They can use it whenever they want, for whatever call they want to challenge.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:35 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:aren't there points leagues that award pts. for no hit performances? i've heard pt. leagues having all sort of weird categories.

I have no pity for anybody that plays in points leagues that use no hitters as a stat. B-)

Oh, I was kidding about the whole instant replay thing. Should've added one of these: ;-7
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:46 am

I think it should have easily been an error... but since it was on the pitcher himself, I don't feel too badly for him.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:36 am

i think they will have to go for a challenge system. It works well in the NFL, and works pretty well for tennis. Howard's comments were coming after an out call at first where he was safe, so I can see where he is coming from.

Homeruns always reviewable, not subject to challenge. Each team gets two challenges per game, that can be used for anything you might want to challenge.

As for Sabathia, my feeling is that the official scorer, rightly or wrongly is the authority on it. Seems lame to complain after the fact, considering it was another monster game. To me it seems weird that managers and coaches love having the guys who care about "team" and not their own stats. Now when its purely a statistical argument, they want it changed after the fact? They one another game on the back of their monster. To me that seems sufficient. Of course, since he is a FA ...
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:42 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:can the OP put a poll in? it's an error to me.

;-D . I think it's going to be a runaway though. I threw on secret answer number three just to see if we get some different responses.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers