Matt Holliday Away From Coors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Holliday Away From Coors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Holliday Away From Coors

Postby thatguy27 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:19 pm

So we all know that Holliday's home/road splits are pretty ridiculous. At Coors his numbers are out of this world (he is a career .364 hitter at Coors), on the road they're solid but unspectacular (career .280 hitter).

But what I find crazy this season is that he has only 23 RBI away from Coors compared to 55 at home. That is an absolutely crazy split. I'm sure it has a lot to do not only with his drop-off at Coors but also with that of the rest of the team, which leads to fewer RBI opportunities. Still, 23 RBI seems insanely low. Over a 162 games that would translate to a meager 64 RBI.

Dynasty owners better hope he remains a Rockie. With Colorado, he's a surefire top 5 player. On any other team, he might be top 30.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Holliday Away From Coors

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:22 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
But what I find crazy this season is that he has only 23 RBI away from Coors compared to 55 at home. That is an absolutely crazy split. I'm sure it has a lot to do not only with his drop-off at Coors but also with that of the rest of the team, which leads to fewer RBI opportunities. Still, 23 RBI seems insanely low. Over a 162 games that would translate to a meager 64 RBI.

1. he missed some time earlier this year.
2. theres some games left, so im sure he'll end up with 30 or so away from home, so thats not quite accurate either.
3. everyone on that team has struggled or been hurt this season. atkins and hawpe have been up and down all season and helton and his .400 OBP havent been in the lineup either.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thatguy27 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:37 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:

1. he missed some time earlier this year.
2. theres some games left, so im sure he'll end up with 30 or so away from home, so thats not quite accurate either.
3. everyone on that team has struggled or been hurt this season. atkins and hawpe have been up and down all season and helton and his .400 OBP havent been in the lineup either.

1. I'm aware, which is why I posted what this total would translate to over a full season.
2. This doesn't change the fact that his total to date is extremely low. And I'm not sure what you're referring to as 'inaccurate', the numbers I posted are what they are. What does what he'll do from this point forward have to do with what he's done so far? This thread is about what's past, not what's to come.
3. I mentioned that the lack of production from the rest of the team is likely a factor in his low totals to date.

Not sure why you feel the need to defend him, or argue with what I'm saying. I merely posted this because I found it interesting.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:32 am

lol you sound mad. relax. ;-D

i was just posting reasons as to why they were low. yes i agree, they're low, but its not just like "oh wow, matt holliday stinks on the road!". everyone knows holliday's stock will drop if/when he leaves colorado.

now ill ask you, what exactly is the point of you posting what you did? just to merely point out things? if so, nice job. his numbers are very low on the road. you were pretty spot on with the reasons why, and no im not sticking up for him. i actually hate the inflated colorado numbers, year after year, but hey what are you gonna do.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:42 am

I still think he could be a .300/30/100 guy away from Coors.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:32 am

ThatGuy27 wrote:Still, 23 RBI seems insanely low. Over a 162 games that would translate to a meager 64 RBI.

By this logic: Matt Holliday would steal 44 bases next year if he didn't play in Coors field. 16 in 59 road games. YAY!

HR Factors are not necessarily conclusive (as Citizen's Bank Ballpark has a factor of 0.987 this year) It is affected by the players playing there (See Progressive Field in Cleveland - 2007: 1.104, 2008: 0.723) but it is a place to start.

Home HR: 22
Coors Field HR Factor: 1.167
Normalized to 1: Almost 19
Away HR: 12
Total: 31

Home HR: 25
Coors Field HR Factor: 1.218
Normalized to 1: 20.5
Away HR: 11
Total: 31-32

Home HR 162 Game Pace: 18.5
Coors Field HR Factor: 1.387
Normalized to 1: 13
Away HR 162 Game Pace: 14
Total: 27

Holliday also consistently plays at Dodgers Stadium (2008: 0.790 - 26th easiest HR park) and Petco Park (2008: 0.739 - 29th easiest HR Park) Chase Field is 11th and At&T is 14th.

His RBI and Run numbers on the road are affected by the rest of his team's struggles away from Coors, not his own.
Atkins: .277 OBP on the Road
Tulo: .305 OBP on the Road
Barmes: .279
Tavares: .315 (actually better than his home number)
and as Snakes mentioned not having Todd Helton and his CAREER OBP away from Coors of .394 in front of you will bring down the RBI's.

He's hitting .307 (.400 OBP, .891 OPS) on the road this year with an identical K:BB Ratio.
He hit .301 last year (.374 OBP, .860 OPS)
He had 55 RBI on the road last year and statistically he has been better this year than last on the road.

J35J wrote:I still think he could be a .300/30/100 guy away from Coors.

I agree with this, as you can see above, normalizing his park puts him right around 30. Depending on what team he goes to, I don't expect his RBI to drop much at all. Comparative to this year's rate (105), they would likely go up.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:31 pm

Alfonso Soriano could be had very cheaply in the 06 season because he was leaving Arlington and his Home/Away splits suggested he couldn't hit outside Texas. Soriano went on to have an outstanding season in one of the worst ballparks to hit in.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:58 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Alfonso Soriano could be had very cheaply in the 06 season because he was leaving Arlington and his Home/Away splits suggested he couldn't hit outside Texas. Soriano went on to have an outstanding season in one of the worst ballparks to hit in.

which to me, still stands as one of the biggest shocks EVER in fantasy sports.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:10 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Alfonso Soriano could be had very cheaply in the 06 season because he was leaving Arlington and his Home/Away splits suggested he couldn't hit outside Texas. Soriano went on to have an outstanding season in one of the worst ballparks to hit in.

Only because people put to much stock in the home/away splits. You generally can tell if a guy is a product of his home park or not. Holliday is a beast, he can hit the ball out of any park. He may not be the .340 40 type of guy he is in Colorado if he was traded but I have no problem expecting .310 30 somewhere else.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:19 pm

J35J wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

Only because people put to much stock in the home/away splits. You generally can tell if a guy is a product of his home park or not. Holliday is a beast, he can hit the ball out of any park. He may not be the .340 40 type of guy he is in Colorado if he was traded but I have no problem expecting .310 30 somewhere else.

i disagree whole heartedly. if soriano were to replicate the season before his season in washington, ok, no biggy. but he set a career high in home runs, while in a TERRIBLE lineup, hitting leadoff the whole season, playing a new position (not a big deal in the least, but possibly a distraction).

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers