I sure hope they have those levees all fixed... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I sure hope they have those levees all fixed...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I sure hope they have those levees all fixed...

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Its looking like Gustav may be heading right for New Orleans! There is a mandatory evacuation Sunday morning.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I sure hope they have those levees all fixed...

Postby Pablo975 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:00 am

The evacuation seems to be going ok from what I hear, but a few knuckleheads will always hang around. The levees are NOT all fixed and even some of the fixed ones have shown problems already WITHOUT massive storm surge to overload them. Bottom line is that city is poorly planned, designed and maintained. As a veteran of too many hurricanes to think about, and someone who actually kind of perversely enjoys them, I would NEVER stay in New Orleans for a hurricane.

I'm just hoping it doesn't jog to the northeast the way a lot of these storms do....right now, my area should be pretty safe, but a NE turn would be bad news....

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:35 am

Pablo975 wrote: and someone who actually kind of perversely enjoys them.

a disclaimer, ive never been in a hurricane or even a natural disaster, and if i was, im sure my opinion would change, but i sorta agree with you pablo. i love me a good nor'easter, huge thunderstorm, heavy rainfall, the excitement of a pending hurricane, etc... like i said, i dont know anyone who has lost a home in a disaster like this, and thats not what im talking about. but the rush is exciting and i like seeing things i normally dont see.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pablo975 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:49 am

Yeah, it's absolutely the excitement factor. Mother Nature quickly reminds you of just how small and insignificant you are against her fury. It's rare to see that so it's captivating in that trainwreck sense. And hurricane parties are great.....

The downsides (aside from the obvious...death, destruction, etc) for you cane-less types:

Lack of power/water/cable/etc....sometimes for WEEKS after a big storm. The sound of generators and chainsaws is a constant background noise after storms for weeks. Makes the extra cost of solar powering your home look worth it....

Lack of consumables.....water, batteries, fresh foods, toilet paper, etc....after a storm, stores may have a very limited supply of product, staff or may be closed or gone altogether while the store traffic has INCREASED since everyone needs stuff post storm and there are fewer places to get it. Plus, shopping with National Guardsmen watching over you in disconcerting.

People staying with you....granted, any decent person helps their friends and neighbors.....but after awhile, having guests in your house will wear you down. Especially with kids in the house.

Cleanup....if you dislike working in the yard or on your house, never move to a hurricane prone area. Clean up of debris, limbs, etc is a pain.

Flat tires.....not expecting that were ya!?! After a big storm, shingles have been blown off roofs all over the place...carrying their roofing nails with them...into the streets....and your tires.

Animals in the house.....not a biggie if you always keep them there. But if yours are outside dogs, problems do arise. Especially since hurricanes seem to REALLY freak some dogs out. One of ours ate thru the sheet rock in our laundry room trying to get out during Katrina. And she had massive runs....which isn't fun to clean up in the dark with a storm raging. Sick, scared dog + storm = BAD.

Ahhh.....memories.....

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:41 am

Looks like Gustav is going to hit New Orleans as a Category 3. Good luck to those of you in the Gulf Coast. I'll be thinking of you...

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-gustav-2008
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:53 pm

Pablo975 wrote:Animals in the house.....not a biggie if you always keep them there. But if yours are outside dogs, problems do arise. Especially since hurricanes seem to REALLY freak some dogs out. One of ours ate thru the sheet rock in our laundry room trying to get out during Katrina. And she had massive runs...

they really have that sense of danger dont they? pretty amazing.

this is a terrible way of thinking, but i heard last time, right before katrina, people were buying up home depot stock and made a good buck. any truth to this?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:57 pm

I was doing some work down in Shreveport and just got back home last weekend. I know it's not exactly ground zero for this storm, but they're expecting to get a ton of rain and storm activity in northwest Louisiana so I'm glad to be out of there.
Hopefully there is as little damage as possible.

Does anybody want to guess how much the national average for a gallon of gas will go up by, by next weekend? :-/
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Old_Style wrote:I was doing some work down in Shreveport and just got back home last weekend. I know it's not exactly ground zero for this storm, but they're expecting to get a ton of rain and storm activity in northwest Louisiana so I'm glad to be out of there.
Hopefully there is as little damage as possible.

Does anybody want to guess how much the national average for a gallon of gas will go up by, by next weekend? :-/

lets buy some exxon stock then!

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Old_Style » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:lets buy some exxon stock then!

I could be wrong, but at $80 a pop, you'd have to buy a ton of it to have any significant earnings.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:45 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:lets buy some exxon stock then!

I could be wrong, but at $80 a pop, you'd have to buy a ton of it to have any significant earnings.

very true.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk