Rotoauthoritys undrafted All stair team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rotoauthoritys undrafted All stair team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rotoauthoritys undrafted All stair team

Postby Rhydderch » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Rotoauthority put together an undrafted team.

Let's create a fantasy team entirely from undrafted players. For our purposes, let's say anyone drafted 277th or later on average in March. If nothing else, this shows the extreme importance of free agency in fantasy leagues. How many of these guys are on your team? If anyone wants to tabulate these players' stats at the end of the season, I'd be curious to see how the team stacks up in my leagues.

C - Ryan Doumit
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Aubrey Huff
2B - Mark DeRosa
SS - Alexei Ramirez
3B - Melvin Mora
CI - Conor Jackson
MI - Jose Lopez
OF - Carlos Quentin
OF - Ryan Ludwick
OF - Randy Winn
OF - Xavier Nady
OF - Fred Lewis
DH - Milton Bradley

SP - Cliff Lee
SP - Ryan Dempster
SP - Ervin Santana
SP - Justin Duchscherer
SP - Edinson Volquez
SP - Ricky Nolasco
RP - Kerry Wood
RP - Salomon Torres
RP - Brian Fuentes

]

Free agents are arguably the most important facet of the game. In looking for patterns, most of these guys are post hype sleepers, guys who couldn't stay healthly, or guys who found some old magic. Alexi appears to be the only rookie (could be wrong), while Lee, Ludwick, Nolasco and Dempster are the only "shocks"

Thoughts?
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rotoauthoritys undrafted All stair team

Postby stevethumb » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:57 pm

i guess i disagree w/the notion that "free agency is the most important facet of the game"..any leagues that leave that quality and quantity of players is just too damn shallow..the auction/draft should always be the most important part of a league..
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:18 pm

All-Stair team, eh?

C - Matt Stairs
C - Matt Stairs
1B - Matt Stairs
2B - Matt Stairs
SS - Matt Stairs
3B - Matt Stairs
CI - Matt Stairs
MI - Matt Stairs
OF - Matt Stairs
OF - Matt Stairs
OF - Matt Stairs
OF - Matt Stairs
OF - Matt Stairs
DH - Matt Stairs

SP - Matt Stairs
SP - Matt Stairs
SP - Matt Stairs
SP - Matt Stairs
SP - Matt Stairs
SP - Matt Stairs
RP - Matt Stairs
RP - Matt Stairs
RP - Matt Stairs

Sorry. :-B

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 am

stevethumb wrote:i guess i disagree w/the notion that "free agency is the most important facet of the game"..any leagues that leave that quality and quantity of players is just too damn shallow..the auction/draft should always be the most important part of a league..

I think I could agree that it is the most important facet of the game because it is ongoing throughout the season. Once the draft is done, your team is what it is unless you can utilize free agency and know who to pick up and when. I'm only getting into the playoffs in my 12 team H2H league because FA pickups like Volquez, Giambi, Winn, Shoppach, Johnson (Josh), Lowrie and Stewart held their own while drafted guys like Smoltz, Gallardo, Ortiz, McGowan, Guillen, Tulo and Longoria have spent time on the DL and/or underperformed.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:28 am

It depends on how well you did at the draft. If you had a crappy draft then in-season moves become a lot more important whereas if you nailed the draft then it is far less important.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:03 pm

Yoda wrote:It depends on how well you did at the draft. If you had a crappy draft then in-season moves become a lot more important whereas if you nailed the draft then it is far less important.

You still have to be able to handle injuries good draft or not...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:08 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Yoda wrote:It depends on how well you did at the draft. If you had a crappy draft then in-season moves become a lot more important whereas if you nailed the draft then it is far less important.

You still have to be able to handle injuries good draft or not...

True but still, if you have a good draft then in-season moves are not as crucial. Also depends on your league set up. Number of teams, bench spots, etc. You can't win the league with a good draft but you can certainly be out of contention very quickly with a very poor one. And that is why there is so much focus on the draft.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:19 pm

whats the point in making this team? just to see what the best pickups were in season? you would only need a randy winn, jose lopez, or mark derosa if you messed up your draft or in case of injury.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rhydderch » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:05 pm

I through this out there just to see what people though of the team. I was also trying to figure out where most of these guys come from. I was actually surprised by the amount of guys who seemly turned there careers back around (Huff, DeRosa, Mora, Winn, Bradley, the closers).

I wonder if this is a usual occurrence, or where these guys typically come from.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:17 pm

I generally like these kinds of things, but ultimately its too variable.

I have to be honest though that I get a little tired of the complaints of small leagues. I find that if its not just romper room, but you have every owner who is good, it can be quite hard. The margin for error is less, because advantages are less pronounced (also allow for variability/luck so that's a problem). I find that you kind of get jammed a lot with your roster as it can be hard to attack a certain stat sometimes because you can't sit what you have. I think it can be a neat riddle.

But in this case, you probably still wouldn't be leading your league with all of these guys.

I think in-season moves are a necessity. You can have the best draft all you want, but you can't corner the market on every good player and every stat. So you need to generate value somewhere. Of course, the good draft mitigates it, but I don't think you can really win from your draft, just lose.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers