Beckett to see Dr. Andrews Friday... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Beckett to see Dr. Andrews Friday...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beckett to see Dr. Andrews Friday...

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:18 pm

At the end of the game today Nesn reported Beckett will visit Dr. Andrews tommorow (Friday) for "closure." According to Franconca there was no new tingling and they are as optomistic about Beckett coming back today as they were after his recent bullpen session.

Quite frankly I don't know what to believe... one way or the other he's going to see Dr. Death tommorow and we'll get a straight assessment of what's up. The Red Sox have not been forthcoming throughout this entire situation, so I'm not sure what we can really take from this, but the one positive is tommorow will give a definitive answer as to if anything's wrong with him.

On a personal note I just bought tickets to fenway for tommorow to see Beckett pitch, never seen him pitch in person, and this has hit me like a freight train.
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Beckett to see Dr. Andrews Friday...

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Does anyone ever know of a positive visit to Dr. Andrews? Could this really be "precautionary"? Why would the sox wait THIS long to send Beckett to get looked at by Andrews? And why would they send him after letting him throw 50 pitches at 100% and continuing to state that he feels no tingling and nothing has changed? I feel slighted by the Sox front office, this visit will reveal the facade, if there is one.
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:38 pm

Sounds like more than closure: "NEW YORK -- Josh Beckett has been scratched from a scheduled start again, and the Boston Red Sox ace plans to have his ailing right elbow examined by Dr. James Andrews in Alabama."

Groan.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:45 pm

I found Weei's Rob Bradford's piece most helpful to explain the trust Beckett has with Andrews... I think there really is a legitimate chance that Beckett is going to see Andrews because he just doesn't trust anyonelse like this guy. He needs the peace of mind to hear it from no one other than Andrews:

NEW YORK -- Josh Beckett has been getting a lot of advice lately. Thanks to everybody from fans to physicians, the last week has delivered all sorts of potential remedies to cure what ails the tingling and numbness in the Red Sox pitcher's right hand.

But ...

"I've got my guy," said Beckett in between filling in crossword puzzle squares on a clubhouse couch before his team's game at Yankee Stadium Wednesday night.

Beckett's "guy" is hardly an unrecognizable entity. He is Dr. James Andrews, the fixer-upper most players and teams throughout baseball, along with the sporting world in general, turn to when it comes to arm, hand, and shoulder maladies.

He found Andrews as a frightened 19-year-old, who had just been told by a doctor affiliated with the Florida Marlins that labrum surgery was inevitable. Beckett's agent, Michael Moye, suggested a second opinion with the well-respected physician.
Nine years later Beckett's labrum in his pitching shoulder remains intact, and so does the line of communication with Andrews.

"Some people may say something to you and you may trust them, but you have some of those doubts and still stay reserved," Beckett said. "For me, if Dr. Andrews tells me something I can put it in my head and know, 'This is how it is.' It's easier for me to get closure on something because I have that trust."

Beckett stood in front of the media yesterday exuding the same sort of optimism passed along by the Red Sox decision-makers. All signs continued to point to the pitcher getting the start Friday, after missing his last two outings with what he was classifying as a nerve problem.

The Red Sox' doctors and trainers had done their due diligence, seemingly identifying the source of the problem without taking an MRI. Although for Beckett, the ultimate peace of mind had come with the phone calls to Andrews.

Beckett's first call to the Birmingham, Ala.-based doctor came last Friday after experiencing a setback following a throwing session. Since then the communication has continued via cell phone, stretching to the latest round of analysis Wednesday.

"He's hesitant to tell me exactly what he thinks it is because he hasn't seen it," Beckett said. "Over the phone he gives me some reassurance, but he's like, 'It doesn't sound like this, but I can rule that out until I see it.'

"I've (referred) to him on everything I've ever had with my shoulder or elbow. I've had other doctors check me out for physicals and things like that, but when it comes to, 'I need this done,' or 'I need an MRI because I'm hurt or injured,' I'm going to see Dr. Andrews."

Just as important as Andrews' familiarity regarding what Beckett's symptoms is the comfort level the hurler has gained since first entering the doctor's offices in 2000.

The faith Beckett is putting in Andrews is understandable considering if it wasn't for the doctor than there's a good possibility the pitcher's career path takes a drastically different turn.

"I probably would have had surgery on my labrum, and that was back when they were still shrinking capsules so it wouldn't have been good," Beckett remembered. "But my agent said we should get a second opinion before we do anything. That's when I saw Dr. Andrews and he told me to rest it. He always took the cautious route first. 'Let's rehab this thing to see if we can get it stronger, and if it doesn't we're not losing anything.'

"He spoke my language too, and a lot of doctors don't. When I went to the rehab clinic (after seeing Andrews in 2000) and that's when I knew."

This time around the process has been aided by the presence of Red Sox assistant trainer, and former Andrews aide, Mike Reinold, who Beckett first met during that initial rehab stint in Birmingham.

Beckett has been able to complement his phone calls to Andrews with Reinold's own communication with his former boss. The dynamic has not only led to increased security for the pitcher, but some tangible treatments, such as the suggestion that the pitcher switch the kind of anti-inflammatory he had been using throughout his setback.

"It's good," Beckett said, "because you just know he has seen this all before ... He's my guy."
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 pm

PavanoAllstars wrote:I found Weei's Rob Bradford's piece most helpful to explain the trust Beckett has with Andrews... I think there really is a legitimate chance that Beckett is going to see Andrews because he just doesn't trust anyonelse like this guy. He needs the peace of mind to hear it from no one other than Andrews:

NEW YORK -- Josh Beckett has been getting a lot of advice lately. Thanks to everybody from fans to physicians, the last week has delivered all sorts of potential remedies to cure what ails the tingling and numbness in the Red Sox pitcher's right hand.

But ...

"I've got my guy," said Beckett in between filling in crossword puzzle squares on a clubhouse couch before his team's game at Yankee Stadium Wednesday night.

Beckett's "guy" is hardly an unrecognizable entity. He is Dr. James Andrews, the fixer-upper most players and teams throughout baseball, along with the sporting world in general, turn to when it comes to arm, hand, and shoulder maladies.

He found Andrews as a frightened 19-year-old, who had just been told by a doctor affiliated with the Florida Marlins that labrum surgery was inevitable. Beckett's agent, Michael Moye, suggested a second opinion with the well-respected physician.
Nine years later Beckett's labrum in his pitching shoulder remains intact, and so does the line of communication with Andrews.

"Some people may say something to you and you may trust them, but you have some of those doubts and still stay reserved," Beckett said. "For me, if Dr. Andrews tells me something I can put it in my head and know, 'This is how it is.' It's easier for me to get closure on something because I have that trust."

Beckett stood in front of the media yesterday exuding the same sort of optimism passed along by the Red Sox decision-makers. All signs continued to point to the pitcher getting the start Friday, after missing his last two outings with what he was classifying as a nerve problem.

The Red Sox' doctors and trainers had done their due diligence, seemingly identifying the source of the problem without taking an MRI. Although for Beckett, the ultimate peace of mind had come with the phone calls to Andrews.

Beckett's first call to the Birmingham, Ala.-based doctor came last Friday after experiencing a setback following a throwing session. Since then the communication has continued via cell phone, stretching to the latest round of analysis Wednesday.

"He's hesitant to tell me exactly what he thinks it is because he hasn't seen it," Beckett said. "Over the phone he gives me some reassurance, but he's like, 'It doesn't sound like this, but I can rule that out until I see it.'

"I've (referred) to him on everything I've ever had with my shoulder or elbow. I've had other doctors check me out for physicals and things like that, but when it comes to, 'I need this done,' or 'I need an MRI because I'm hurt or injured,' I'm going to see Dr. Andrews."

Just as important as Andrews' familiarity regarding what Beckett's symptoms is the comfort level the hurler has gained since first entering the doctor's offices in 2000.

The faith Beckett is putting in Andrews is understandable considering if it wasn't for the doctor than there's a good possibility the pitcher's career path takes a drastically different turn.

"I probably would have had surgery on my labrum, and that was back when they were still shrinking capsules so it wouldn't have been good," Beckett remembered. "But my agent said we should get a second opinion before we do anything. That's when I saw Dr. Andrews and he told me to rest it. He always took the cautious route first. 'Let's rehab this thing to see if we can get it stronger, and if it doesn't we're not losing anything.'

"He spoke my language too, and a lot of doctors don't. When I went to the rehab clinic (after seeing Andrews in 2000) and that's when I knew."

This time around the process has been aided by the presence of Red Sox assistant trainer, and former Andrews aide, Mike Reinold, who Beckett first met during that initial rehab stint in Birmingham.

Beckett has been able to complement his phone calls to Andrews with Reinold's own communication with his former boss. The dynamic has not only led to increased security for the pitcher, but some tangible treatments, such as the suggestion that the pitcher switch the kind of anti-inflammatory he had been using throughout his setback.

"It's good," Beckett said, "because you just know he has seen this all before ... He's my guy."

Thanks for sharing. I think I'll sleep a little easier tonight. ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby PavanoAllstars » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:01 pm

key words are "sleep a little better"

I've never been so blind sided... but maybe we're just blowing it out of proportion... I don't know anymore :~(

I'll be saying some prayers tonight at the bed side (no joke, i'm a proud catholic)
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dweenmachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:56 pm

He's on the DL, but his visit with Dr. Death wasn't too shabby... it looks like he'll be okay afterall.
From Rotworld:
The Red Sox are expected to place Josh Beckett on the disabled list with a strained right elbow on Friday.

Manager Terry Francona said that he visited with Dr. James Andrews on Friday, and that all of his tests came back clean. It's been 12 days since he's appeared in a game, so this doesn't necessarily indicate an extended absence, but is likely being done for roster flexibility during the weekend's series with the potential wild-card foes from Chicago. The team will call up catcher David Ross to take his roster spot.
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:11 pm

dweenmachine wrote:He's on the DL, but his visit with Dr. Death wasn't too shabby... it looks like he'll be okay afterall.
From Rotworld:
The Red Sox are expected to place Josh Beckett on the disabled list with a strained right elbow on Friday.

Manager Terry Francona said that he visited with Dr. James Andrews on Friday, and that all of his tests came back clean. It's been 12 days since he's appeared in a game, so this doesn't necessarily indicate an extended absence, but is likely being done for roster flexibility during the weekend's series with the potential wild-card foes from Chicago. The team will call up catcher David Ross to take his roster spot.

Funny thing is that if you listened to ESPN, they make it sound like it is the end of the world that he visited Andrews today...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby PavanoAllstars » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:10 am

wait... ESPN speculated and characterized something out of proportion? that's just unheard of

I think this is "best case scenario" for Sox fans and even Fantasy owners to the extent that he "should" be back in time to make an impact in the final month... I just hope he gives me 3-4 starts of dominance for my roto team... then I can worry about the REAL postseason.
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates