Pedro Alvarez refused to sign his contract - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Pedro Alvarez refused to sign his contract

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro Alvarez refused to sign his contract

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:02 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3556133
Boras vs. the Pirates this could get messy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pedro Alvarez refused to sign his contract

Postby MaudDib » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Not good for one of the more MLB ready guys out of that draft. Hopefully something happens soon. It won't help Alveraz if he has to go back into the draft next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Pirates, Alvarez agree to reworked deal

Ok, I don't understand this at all. If it's true that the collective bargaining agreement was violated because the deal wasn't done in time, wouldn't that put him back into the draft pool for next year? I just fail to see how he could potentially be declared a free agent or even be able to renegotiate with the Pirates and agree to a deal now. If the deal wasn't done by the August deadline, how can a deal that everyone knows was agreed to in late September be acceptable?

Maybe I'm just completely missing something, but this whole thing has me royally confused. X-I :*)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:46 am

Big Pimpin wrote:Pirates, Alvarez agree to reworked deal

Ok, I don't understand this at all. If it's true that the collective bargaining agreement was violated because the deal wasn't done in time, wouldn't that put him back into the draft pool for next year? I just fail to see how he could potentially be declared a free agent or even be able to renegotiate with the Pirates and agree to a deal now. If the deal wasn't done by the August deadline, how can a deal that everyone knows was agreed to in late September be acceptable?

Maybe I'm just completely missing something, but this whole thing has me royally confused. X-I :*)

This whole thing is quite a mess. Because Alvarez was granted an extension, there was no need for him to actually sign the deal at the deadline, putting Alvarez back in the draft pool next year could potentially hurt his value for next year, which wouldn't be fair to the player. However, declaring him a free agent wouldn't do much good either, as it would end up rewarding Alvarez with a better contract. Reworking his contract in mid-September actually looks like the best option right now, even though it doesn't make things right, as it is not fair to any of the players who signed at the deadline.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball