lincecum = cy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

lincecum = cy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: lincecum = cy

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:11 pm

....continued from above post. Linc is 2nd in the majors in pitches thrown....I think if a guy is more conditioned to throw more pitches then the chances of an outing of 130+ is less likely to harm him than someone not used to it. I think Linc is pretty used to this type of work load.

another note....Cain is 3rd in MLB in pitches thrown....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:47 pm

What SF is doing to Lincecum in meaningless games is terrible. You don't abuse arms under 25. Zito, Hudson, Prior, Wood to name a few, were abused, and declined. Zambrano is heading there someday.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... cid=204015
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby J35J » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:41 am

HOOTIE wrote:What SF is doing to Lincecum in meaningless games is terrible. You don't abuse arms under 25. Zito, Hudson, Prior, Wood to name a few, were abused, and declined. Zambrano is heading there someday.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/stati ... cid=204015

That I do agree with. I was more talking in general, that if a guy is conditioned to throw more pitches than I think he's just as much of a risk as anyone else and not neccessarily moreso.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:06 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I dealt both Lince and Webb in my keeper for Santana pre-season. Going to go down as one of the worst deals ever made in fantasy baseball...
I cry myself to sleep every night with that deal. :,-(

Poker, I tried to warn you back then not to do the deal. :-B

Yes, you did. I guess I came to the Cafe to try to get people to support my decision. When most said don't do it, I said screw 'em, I'm doing it anyway...I guess my mind was already made up because most were against it.

In the end, it ends up being Lincecum/Webb or Santana/Billingsley for keepers. That makes it a little more palatable, doesn it?? O:-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby rjforlife » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:15 am

My whole argument with this is not whether or not pitch counts affect young arms, as I believe it does, but rather how to truly look at pitch counts. What I mean by this is, is the first pitch of the game putting equal stress on the arm as throwing a 3-2 pitch with the bases loaded in the 5th after throwing 27 pitches already that inning? Do they both count the same? I just don't like the idea of saying 100 pitches is 100 pitches. If you threw the 100 through 7 innings versus 4 innings, I feel like it would generate far less stress on the arm because throwing less pitches in sequence, taking breaks for the arm sitting in the dugout, and also the effects of throwing from the stretch versus the windup? The point of all of this is that while TIm has been ringing up these large pitch counts, he has been pitching deep into games, thus spreading out his pitches, and perhaps putting less stress on his arm.....
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 am

I've said this before but pitch counts is not the most reliable stat when it comes to injuries. Just like everything else, the more you throw, the more wear and tear you will have. However, situation is pretty important as well. Is Tim throwing mostly under stress? I'm guessing not. And while a lot more injuries occur when a pitcher is tired, Tim tends to use his entire body to generate velocity which probably puts less stress on his arm/shoulder/elbow than most pitchers. Time will tell but he might just be a freak.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:23 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
In the end, it ends up being Lincecum/Webb or Santana/Billingsley for keepers. That makes it a little more palatable, doesn it?? O:-)

yes, that makes it much better. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:21 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I dealt both Lince and Webb in my keeper for Santana pre-season. Going to go down as one of the worst deals ever made in fantasy baseball...
I cry myself to sleep every night with that deal. :,-(

Poker, I tried to warn you back then not to do the deal. :-B

Yes, you did. I guess I came to the Cafe to try to get people to support my decision. When most said don't do it, I said screw 'em, I'm doing it anyway...I guess my mind was already made up because most were against it.

I never look back on stuff like that. Was it stupid in hindsight? Yes, obviously. But you only know what you know at the time, and if you thought it was a move you had to do, well, every move has risk. Those are the kinds of moves I'd make in a keeper if I was hell bent on only keeping one arm.

I traded billingsley for lidge earlier in the year, which seemed good. But I ended up being locked ina saves battle I decided that I had to bow out of. So I ended up punting saves. The starter I got for lidge? Carmona. (I had to make SURE I was giving my closers to three specific teams, so I could benefit by knocking down the leader). But it still leaves a crummy taste in your mouth.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ender » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:05 am

CC Sabathia is the only real choice for the CY in the NL.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:18 am

Ender wrote:CC Sabathia is the only real choice for the CY in the NL.

Get real homer.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers