Shame on Rays fans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shame on Rays fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Shame on Rays fans

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:28 pm

jlm53089 wrote:I will be there tonight, free tickets from work.
And all weekend cause I have to work.

But I work for the Rays, and the sad thing is they gave every employee 2 free tickets for tonights game, and I bet it does not touch 15000. Its not the Marketing, its not the pricing, its the fanbase... I hate saying it but people just dont jump on.
I believe more will come closer torwards the playoffs, but the reasoning is... New York, Boston, than Minnesota... weekend games always push 22,000 while weekday clans push 12,000.

I love the Rays and hope to have a future inside this franchise, but in the end it comes down to fan base.

What do you do for the Rays?

Cool job ;-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:

But I work for the Rays, and the sad thing is they gave every employee 2 free tickets for tonights game, and I bet it does not touch 15000. Its not the Marketing, its not the pricing, its the fanbase... I hate saying it but people just dont jump on.
I believe more will come closer torwards the playoffs, but the reasoning is... New York, Boston, than Minnesota... weekend games always push 22,000 while weekday clans push 12,000.

I love the Rays and hope to have a future inside this franchise, but in the end it comes down to fan base.

Cool job ;-D

He gives BJ Upton personal base running lessons. ;-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:

Cool job ;-D

He gives BJ Upton personal base running lessons. ;-D

So you will be out of a job soon?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 pm

They should move to Montreal? Because so many fans went to the games back when they had a team?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:00 pm

:-? What?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:18 am

RocketsDWM wrote:

Cool job ;-D

Running the Speed Pitch, and Batting Cages making 12 dollars an hour in a struggling job market working for a baseball team which is pretty sweet.
Just trying to get my foot in the door :-°
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby RyanK » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:45 pm

I went to UTampa and have friends at USF, wish i was down their now id be at every game. The Rays dont do much of any advertising to try and get college aged kids to go (when they do its for Sox games or Yankee games), they need to advertise the dollar beers and hotdogs? on fridays and i think fan base also comes from growing up to the team, alot of the people in Tampa right now are former Northerners and people who arent from the area, it gets brought up though childhood. As with Hartford and the loss of the whalers, my generation (20 years old) and kids older and younger than me constantly talk about the whalers as we grew up to them where they were new to our parents generation.

Also if you you look where ST Pete is and if you visit tampa, its a bit of a trip to go see a game as its not the closest location for a family going to Busch Gardens or a Business trip to Downtown tampa and having to take a cab to the Trop. Build an adjacent statduim from the Times Forum in Channelside they'll be okay.

Oh, and the Lightning dont sell out, theyre with in walking distance of UTampa and I could get tickets for five or ten bucks off a scalper, might be a little harder this year theyre gonna be good ;-D
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:05 pm

RyanK wrote:I went to UTampa and have friends at USF, wish i was down their now id be at every game. The Rays dont do much of any advertising to try and get college aged kids to go (when they do its for Sox games or Yankee games), they need to advertise the dollar beers and hotdogs? on fridays and i think fan base also comes from growing up to the team, alot of the people in Tampa right now are former Northerners and people who arent from the area, it gets brought up though childhood. As with Hartford and the loss of the whalers, my generation (20 years old) and kids older and younger than me constantly talk about the whalers as we grew up to them where they were new to our parents generation.

Also if you you look where ST Pete is and if you visit tampa, its a bit of a trip to go see a game as its not the closest location for a family going to Busch Gardens or a Business trip to Downtown tampa and having to take a cab to the Trop. Build an adjacent statduim from the Times Forum in Channelside they'll be okay.

Oh, and the Lightning dont sell out, theyre with in walking distance of UTampa and I could get tickets for five or ten bucks off a scalper, might be a little harder this year theyre gonna be good ;-D

I left the game early because we were winning so much, and just saw this so had to respond.

1st -- Advertise? For what? How about a team that is in first place in its division in September and has a legitimate shot at winning the pennant. There should be no need to advertise lower beer prices when the team is playing like this and has been all season. That may have been the case in past seasons, but there should absolutely be no reason to advertise for this team right now.

2md -- Yea people are transplants, but they gave up their other allegiances for football and hockey to take on the championship winners in those sports. You live in Tampa, be a fan of the team that is there.

3rd -- The location thing really gets old. Downtown St. Pete is better than downtown Tampa and fact is you go to the game to watch the team and not what is going on afterwards. Also, as I said before in this thread, people in other cities drive much further and for a longer period of time, so this is just an excuse for laziness.

Finally -- Yes the Lightning do sell out. Capacity for hockey = 19500. Capacity for the building is 20,500 (we had over 21,000 one night in 2006, not sure how that happened though) Last season they average 18,744, which is a sell out by numbers and they were DEAD LAST in hockey last year, worst team in hockey. Also,the 2006 last season, they opened up more seats because of the sell outs and they average 19,877 in 2006.

I have no idea why people refuse to go to the games here, but they have no excuse
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:45 pm

When the Twins started getting good they didn't draw fans either... well, they still don't draw that many but it has grown. It takes more than one playoff season to bring fans back. You need near perfect management and a good minor league system because the players that are driving this team right now are going to be gone in a few years. I don't think Tampa can consistently be a good team in that division thus I don't think the fan base will ever be there. That shouldn't be blamed on the Tampa Bay market, it should be blamed on the unbalanced economics that doesn't allow the Rays to consistently compete. I think it really sucks that Tampa has built a team that could be a dynasty but instead they're just grooming them to be part of a big market dynasty. It's beating a dead horse but it ticks me off, especially when fans are going to see their stars go to teams in their own division. Tell me how that is good for baseball.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 pm

jlm53089 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:

Cool job ;-D

Running the Speed Pitch, and Batting Cages making 12 dollars an hour in a struggling job market working for a baseball team which is pretty sweet.
Just trying to get my foot in the door :-°

Atleast you get to do that. I worked for a minor league team this past summer and I was checking tickets as people entered a catered area. I had to ask them for their ticket before they went down. Awful job. You never know how rude people can be until you have a job like that.

Hey, maybe you will get to see some ALCS or World Series games! ;-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers