Shame on Rays fans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shame on Rays fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Shame on Rays fans

Postby 405z06 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I am a St Louisan who spent a few years in Tampa earlier in the decade. It seemed everyone, just like me, was from somewhere else and already have allegiances to other teams. It's gonna take a bit for the younger, homegrown fans to get on board because they have been so bad for so long.
+
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Personally, this is why I loathe expansion in any of the Big 4 sports. It's just very difficult to acquire a fan base from the ground up for a variety of factors (i.e. new market, different allegiances).

That said, it's really surprising to see the Rays not bring in the attendance figures one would think over a team experiencing their greatest success in their history. I happened to catch some of the Angels/Rays games last week and thought it was really just a residual effect of Hurricane Fay but it's really quite sad.

I tend to think of Tampa as a city whose top priority lies in the college football teams (i.e. Florida, Florida State) while the pro teams are somewhat on the backburner. The Bucs haven't had such a problem because football takes a life of its own in Florida like in Texas whereas the Lightning/Rays have struggled for attention for years. At least a Stanley Cup campaign and the playoff runs before that, actually gave the Lightning some residual success in winning some fans over to attend their games.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:00 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:The fans of this city do not deserve this team. I am so freaking disgusted by what I see when I am at the game or at home because for some reason I couldn't make it. I am in Law School, work 25 hours a week at a law office, and I still go to almost every game at the trop. There is NO excuse for these "fans". I hear it takes to long to drive from Tampa, it takes no longer then an hour to get to the trop from the furthest point in Tampa. I bet there are tons of guys here that can vouch for the fact that it taks just as long, or more likely longer, to get to Fenway, or Yankee Stadium, etc etc. I used to go to every Cubs or Sox games during the summer when I was a kid and it took a while to get there from my family's house in a Chi suberb. I have heard almost every excuse out there. For those not in Tampa, this topic is brought up about eveyrday on local radio and in the newspaper. People in this city suck and ar efull of excuses. As sad as I would be to see my Rays leave, the players deserve better. These guys play hard and the right way every night and people won't even show up for them. I have endured 10 years of terriblness to see this day and it sucks that I can't enjoy myself at a game because I look around and see all the empty seats.

%-6 %-6 %-6 %-6

It sucks for true fans like you. Even as a Sox fan, I can't imagine being on a trip to the Tampa area (business or pleasure) and NOT taking in a Rays game, regardless of who they are playing. What else could they possibly do as a team to draw fans? Unlike Colorado last year who went on a huge run late in the year, the Rays have been playing awesome from day 1. How is taking down the mighty big-market Yankees and Red Sox not enough to rally fan support? It blows my mind.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:13 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Personally, this is why I loathe expansion in any of the Big 4 sports. It's just very difficult to acquire a fan base from the ground up for a variety of factors (i.e. new market, different allegiances).

That said, it's really surprising to see the Rays not bring in the attendance figures one would think over a team experiencing their greatest success in their history. I happened to catch some of the Angels/Rays games last week and thought it was really just a residual effect of Hurricane Fay but it's really quite sad.

I tend to think of Tampa as a city whose top priority lies in the college football teams (i.e. Florida, Florida State) while the pro teams are somewhat on the backburner. The Bucs haven't had such a problem because football takes a life of its own in Florida like in Texas whereas the Lightning/Rays have struggled for attention for years. At least a Stanley Cup campaign and the playoff runs before that, actually gave the Lightning some residual success in winning some fans over to attend their games.

The Lightning sell out every game, and even before they won the Cup they had great attendance. The Lightning originally played in the Trop (it was called the ThunderDome) and set the all time record for attendance of a regular season, and post season game. This is another reason why I can tell you that not going to the Rays game because of location is crap. They went there for the Lightning.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Personally, this is why I loathe expansion in any of the Big 4 sports. It's just very difficult to acquire a fan base from the ground up for a variety of factors (i.e. new market, different allegiances).

The Lightning sell out every game, and even before they won the Cup they had great attendance. The Lightning originally played in the Trop (it was called the ThunderDome) and set the all time record for attendance of a regular season, and post season game. This is another reason why I can tell you that not going to the Rays game because of location is crap. They went there for the Lightning.

2 reasons that the Lightning sell out:
1 - Florida is half Canadian. Old Canadians but still Canadians.
2 - Air conditioning
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:31 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

2 reasons that the Lightning sell out:
1 - Florida is half Canadian. Old Canadians but still Canadians.
2 - Air conditioning

The Rays stadium is air conditioned too ;-), and we played a Canadian team yesterday :-b :-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:34 pm

I think they lack a big name draw. They need a Manny, or an Arod, or Vladdy....someone for the kids to get excited about going to see. They are such a young (albiet very talented) team that people haven't had a chance to get to know the players or their personalities. Kazmir might be the closest thing they have to a celebrity, and the only thing I know about him are his stats.
And I bet people are p.o.'d about having to buy new team jerseys with the team name change...
I'm happy for the Rays, I hope they make it to the WS this year.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:16 pm

I will be there tonight ;-D

This weekend my wife and I can't be there on Sat, but I will be there tomorrow and Sunday too. I guess the silver lining is that it takes me no time to get in, get my beer, and sit in my front row outfield tickets that I paid $15 a piece for :-°
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:29 pm

I will be there tonight, free tickets from work.
And all weekend cause I have to work.

But I work for the Rays, and the sad thing is they gave every employee 2 free tickets for tonights game, and I bet it does not touch 15000. Its not the Marketing, its not the pricing, its the fanbase... I hate saying it but people just dont jump on.
I believe more will come closer torwards the playoffs, but the reasoning is... New York, Boston, than Minnesota... weekend games always push 22,000 while weekday clans push 12,000.

I love the Rays and hope to have a future inside this franchise, but in the end it comes down to fan base.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:53 pm

If I only lived 600 miles closer, I can promise you there would have been two more there last night.

Compared to other years, 12,000 on a Wed night against Toronto is awesome. It would have probably been 4,000 last year in August. As far as overall attendance, the Rays will see their big jump next year as many more businesses and the like buy season tickets. All I can say is that on September 19 and 20, 3 North Carolinians will be at the Trop.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers