Twins sign Nathan to two-year contract - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minnesota Twins

Twins sign Nathan to two-year contract

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Twins sign Nathan to two-year contract

Postby WebHamster » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:00 am

Fort Myers, FL (Sports Network) - The Minnesota Twins and reliever Joe Nathan came to terms on a two-year, incentive-laden deal on Thursday.

The 29-year-old righty said he will receive a base salary of $440,000 this season, with escalators based on his role with the club.

Nathan, acquired in the off-season from San Francisco for catcher A.J. Pierzynski, is the favorite to land the closer's role vacated by Eddie Guardado, who signed with Seattle.

"It makes them feel comfortable with it in case I'm setting up," said Nathan. "It allows me to be comfortable if I'm closing all year. It's kind of structured to meet both those needs."

Last season, Nathan was 12-3 with a 2.96 ERA as the setup man for the Giants.

The Twins also renewed the contract of right-handed starter Kyle Lohse Thursday. Lohse, 25, went 14-11 with a 4.61 ERA in 33 starts in 2003 and was looking for a raise, but because he has less than three years of service time, he had no alternative but to accept the Twins' offer.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 778)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Minnesota Twins