Anyone thinks Fuentes will be traded? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone thinks Fuentes will be traded?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone thinks Fuentes will be traded?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:53 am

I am now a little more familiar with the whole waiver thing. I know someone will put a claim in for him but do you think a team will try and trade for him after claiming him? He will have to be traded for something comparable of two 1st round picks. I just don't know if a contender is willing to do something like that. Should I be worried about losing one of my closers to a team that will not allow him to close?
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone thinks Fuentes will be traded?

Postby Old_Style » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:15 am

Some folks chimed in on the topic already.
viewtopic.php?t=360376

Two threads about Fuentes in two days. Sounds like Somebody has Fuentes Fever! :-*
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:32 am

Old_Style wrote:Some folks chimed in on the topic already.
viewtopic.php?t=360376

Two threads about Fuentes in two days. Sounds like Somebody has Fuentes Fever! :-*

Yea I do have Fuentes fever. I really like him simply because the schedule the rest of the way favors the Rockies and I think he will get a lot of save chances if he stays with the Rockies. I would hate to pick up Corpas if Fuentes ends up staying. Thanks for the link but all anyone really talked about was arbitration.

I don't have a problem picking up Fuentes, but the guy that I am teaming with hates to make roster moves. I manage the baseball team and he does the football. I never tell him a thing but he constantly messes me. He left me alone last year and we won our league. I thought this would quiet him a little but.... I will admit I do make a lot of moves anyway and I offer to pay every expense and if we win split the winnings. He is a great friend though its all in good fun.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:58 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=360376

Yea I do have Fuentes fever. I really like him simply because the schedule the rest of the way favors the Rockies and I think he will get a lot of save chances if he stays with the Rockies. I would hate to pick up Corpas if Fuentes ends up staying. Thanks for the link but all anyone really talked about was arbitration.

I don't have a problem picking up Fuentes, but the guy that I am teaming with hates to make roster moves. I manage the baseball team and he does the football. I never tell him a thing but he constantly messes me. He left me alone last year and we won our league. I thought this would quiet him a little but.... I will admit I do make a lot of moves anyway and I offer to pay every expense and if we win split the winnings. He is a great friend though its all in good fun.

Oh, sorry about that. I just skimmed and figured there were some nuggets in there.

I would say that it's pretty hard to figure these waiver moves out. There's no telling what team is going to put a claim in and if that team has any intention on trading for him.
If he falls to a contending team, there may be a good chance of him getting moved. Than again, that team could just be blocking another team from putting a claim in and getting a deal done.

To make a long story short, I don't know. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hersch223 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 am

Old_Style wrote:
shoelessjoetara wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=360376

Oh, sorry about that. I just skimmed and figured there were some nuggets in there.

I would say that it's pretty hard to figure these waiver moves out. There's no telling what team is going to put a claim in and if that team has any intention on trading for him.
If he falls to a contending team, there may be a good chance of him getting moved. Than again, that team could just be blocking another team from putting a claim in and getting a deal done.

To make a long story short, I don't know. ;-D

Non-contending teams may try to make a trade if they claim him, but may be just as happy with letting the Rockies dump his salary on them, since they'd get two draft picks at the end of the year (and the Rockies will not dump him on anybody, they want those picks for themselves).

Any contending team that claims him will try to trade for sure, but finding a match in their system that's worth more than two draft picks is pretty hard to do. Those players traded would have to be off the 40-man roster, as those on the roster would also have to clear waivers. The chance that any return players clear waivers is slim to none, as the Rockies would only be trading for young, cheap talent. Young, cheap talent doesn't clear waivers.

Now, if the claiming team has some real good talent off the 40-man roster, they might get something done, but those players would have to be worth more than two picks. It seems nowadays like a number of really good, 1st-round prospects are signing major-league deals, which puts them on the 40-man roster from the get-go. Not always though, so a trade is possible. It have to be the perfect team that wins the claim, a team with a nice non-40-man talent base.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers