Ryan Howard's AVG... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Howard's AVG...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ryan Howard's AVG...

Postby Old_Style » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:

Do they also offer a "False" Home Run Landing Spots graph?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:47 am

Old_Style wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

Do they also offer a "False" Home Run Landing Spots graph?

they use the flight of the ball to extrapolate where its true landing site would be without stands/and other stuff getting in the way...basically where the ball would have landed had it been hit in a wide open field with no obstructions...heres an excerpt of the way they describe it...

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/ wrote:How Hit Tracker Works: Hit Tracker is a spreadsheet tool that takes as inputs atmospheric information and observation data, and gives as an output the true distance that the home run traveled, along with the initial speed of the hit off the bat and the precise angles at which the ball left the bat. It does this by creating as a starting point an initial “best-guess” three dimensional trajectory for the home run, and then modifying that trajectory, a little bit at a time, until the trajectory matches the observed data from the actual home run event.

also looking at some of howard's stats, he hits 21.3% line drives which means his BABIP should be roughly around .330, close to where it has been in the past...this year, however, it is sitting at a very low .269, so it seems pretty likely that howard is running into some bad luck this year (i'm not sure if the shift would have a huge effect on this?). Despite this, it's pretty easy to see that the main problem is just that howard does not make contact enough... right now hes sitting on a contact rate of about 66%, which is just ridiculously low. When you strike out as much as he does, its pretty much impossible to keep up a respectable average, even if his BABIP was closer to where it should be
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:37 am

like i said before, he hits the ball out at all parts of the field (2 years ago in his 58 hr season, he hit a TON of opposite field hits). thats not the problem. the problem is that he cant hit a single to left field.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:28 am

Shouldn't it be "Tru" HR landing spots? :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby byfrcp » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:26 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:like i said before, he hits the ball out at all parts of the field (2 years ago in his 58 hr season, he hit a TON of opposite field hits). thats not the problem. the problem is that he cant hit a single to left field.

Watching the shift, I don't understand why he can't just make contact and put the ball into left field. Pretty much any ground ball on the left side of the infield will be a hit. Every time they put the shift on just put the ball into left field. Eventually they won't use the shift all the time and he'll get more hits to right field.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:15 pm

byfrcp wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:like i said before, he hits the ball out at all parts of the field (2 years ago in his 58 hr season, he hit a TON of opposite field hits). thats not the problem. the problem is that he cant hit a single to left field.

Watching the shift, I don't understand why he can't just make contact and put the ball into left field. Pretty much any ground ball on the left side of the infield will be a hit. Every time they put the shift on just put the ball into left field. Eventually they won't use the shift all the time and he'll get more hits to right field.

:-C you dont have to tell me. i think any major league hitter should be able to poke the ball the other way. its a fairly common thing, even in high school baseball.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Snakes Gould wrote: :-C you dont have to tell me. i think any major league hitter should be able to poke the ball the other way. its a fairly common thing, even in high school baseball.

I've had this conversation with my dad about Jim Thome many a time. It's something I'll never understand.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers