Is this a contender? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Is this a contender?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this a contender?

Postby Spud » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:02 am

How does my team look?

This is a 10 team/25 player roster Yahoo points based league. Ill toss what we get points for at the bottom.

C - Lieberthal
1B - Thome
2B - Soriano
SS - K. Matsui
3B - Chavez
IF - Thomas
OF - Pierre, Andruw Jones, Torii Hunter, and H. Matsui
Bench - Crawford, Mondesi, Koskie, LeCroy

SP - Schmidt, Clemens, Buehrle, Contreras, Willis, Milton, Batista, and Ramon Ortiz
RP - Smoltz, Guardado, and Mesa

Lilly wasnt drafted, should I drop Ortiz or someone else for him?
Im not really sure what to think of my team. Good amount of power, lots of stolen bases, good RP and my SP could be really good. How does it look?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

*Points*
Hitting: R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SH (1), SF (1), SB (2), CS (-1), BB (1), HBP (1), K (-1), GIDP (-1), E (-1)
Pitching: W (10), L (-5), CG (5), SHO (10), SV (10), OUT (1), H (-1), ER (-1), BB (-1), HBP (-1), K (1), WP (-1), BLK (-1)
Spud Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

I like it,.

Postby BAseball-boy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:43 am

I like your team a lot.

However, there are question marks for me over THOME at 1B (he is not the same player of a few yrs ago) and F.Thomas (injury prone).

I think your RP is solid.

But I do not share your faith in your SP. I think you are hoping for a lot.

Why not try and shift Thomas and pick up a better pitcher at teh same time?> I would also play Mondesi.

Please return the favor and rate my team.
BAseball-boy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Spud » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. Id have to disagree on what you said about Thome...He has been fairly consistent over the years and I dont see him taking a downturn. I do agree with you though on my SP...I think I need atleast one more proven starter.
Spud Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BAseball-Boy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:24 pm

Yeah, Thome is good and has been consistent in the past, I just don't see it lasting. He has started to slip in recent years and he isn't that young anymore.

Query - is Smoltz an injury risk? Will he get that many saves now that the Braves have lost a lot of their talent? Also, SMoltz does not do it for me in clutch situations.

That being said, I wish he was on my team!
BAseball-Boy

Postby Spud » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:51 pm

Smoltz wasnt my top closer and I actually considered drafting Guardado over Smoltz. Not really sure how the Braves are going to do this year and that almost scared me away from him. Hes still one of the best in the league and the Braves should still to well so I ultimatly had to take him. Guardado was still there a few rounds later so I grabbed him too so it all worked out in the end. I really wanted Foulke though...

I dont think Smoltz is an injury risk...have you heard something?
Spud Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Smoltzie

Postby smcgee » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:13 pm

Smoltz had shoulder surgery in the off season and said he would have no more surgeries. If he got injured again his career was over. That being said, he says and appears healthy in Orlando.
smcgee

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:25 pm

I thought Smoltz had elbow surgery. And I also heard he would retire if he got injured again. Thats not all that comforting to know when he's on your team. But really you have to go with the guy.

I agree you need a stud starter. Although there are always guys that come out of nowhere and can help your team if you keep actiave on the waiver wire.

I totally dissagree with the guy that dissed Thome. What the hell is he basing this on? Thome hit 47 homers last year. Thats slipping? Damn A-rod must be losing it too. I see Thome having a MONSTER year. He'll be ready at the start of the year, something he wasn't last year. Thome .280, 50, 135, 115.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Juhlz » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:29 pm

I have to say first that the Only thing that slipped in Thome's game was his avg. He will be more familiar this season with NL pitching and it should raise back up to the .290 level. Get rid of R ortiz his era will kill you.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team