first live draft an ideas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

first live draft an ideas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

first live draft an ideas

Postby booterkennedy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:56 am

I will participating in my first live draft this year. My friends and Ii used yahoo last year (easier that way) Now I had a rough I dea what to do but now they changed the format to a 14 team 5x5 roto league with
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

so they added 2 new bench players and a mi,ci,of ,2 sp's Now I am completely messed up. I have read some stratagies for a 12 team league but I just cant get around what to do now. As a fantasy newbie can you GURU's give me some advice. Unfortuantly I will not know my draft postion until an hour befor draft time.

I am thinking a good bat first then 2-3 rounds of pitching the fill mi then go after some OF the Ci the nmore pitching. But does that change depending on what the others do in my league???

Thanks alot
booterkennedy Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spartans Rule » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:03 am

One big thing to remember is that how much pitching you need is not controlled by roster spots, but by innings. Does your league have an inning limit? That will have a major effect on your strategy.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:20 am

Oh yeah i forgot that detail. its 1250 innings. Will that make a big difference? So should I look for more middle relievers to lower my era and whip?

How would I best draft with only 1250 innings. Now that i think about it I am thinking bats are more important. I read something liek 30% of points from pitching come from waivers and only 10% come form batting. So it seems to me batting is more important!

I am I making sense at all

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Spartans Rule » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:37 am

Anonymous wrote:I am I making sense at all

Absolutely. You're thinking the right way.

Just because the league added 2 SP spots doesn't mean you need to add 2 SPs. The limit is the same. I would carry at least 2 closers (3 if you can get value, but don't reach for someone crappy) and then 2-3 setup men with great numbers - you can get these real late. That'll leave 4 spots for you to use on starters - carry a few on the bench too and rotate them in and out.

You're right about focusing on hitting. It is more reliable. Plus, you have 13 hitting spots to fill in a 14 team league. Talent will thin out fast and you'll want a handful of studs.

I don't like to say draft position X in round Y because you have to take value where the draft gives it to you. But as a loose guide, I would say after 12 rounds you will want to have your 2 closers, 2 starters to anchor your staff, and 8 bats.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers