Where is Alexei drafted next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where is Alexei drafted next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where is Alexei drafted next year?

Postby Old_Style » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:I'll be paying close attention to mock drafts as to where he goes.

That said, people making projections need to keep in mind that this is his first year in the U.S. Majors....He started the season looking like a fool at the plate (not including S.T., he did great there), and now he's hitting like a maniac.

Comparisons to Soriano for a ceiling -- yes, including power -- are not far fetched.

Alexei: http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramiral03.shtml
Soriano: http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/soriaal01.shtml

Look at their first full seasons. It's not the power Alexei would have to catch up on, it's the speed. He's actually quite significantly ahead of the power pace Soriano set, but way behind on speed. But ahead in contact (way ahead). Alexei's on his way to K about 40% less than Soriano did, with a BA about .045 higher. Soriano's contact has always been lacking, and if Alexei were to become Soriano with much better contact and less speed, he'll be a true 5-cat monster.

I would venture to say that Ramirez is one of the fastest guys in the league. He just needs to learn how to run on the paths.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 pm

i believe in ST there were concerns about his ability to hit a good breakingball. do we have his stats against those?
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:10 pm

I have a feeling that a lot of you will be very disappointed in 09.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BravesGuy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:07 pm

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet
http://www.fantasybaseballgenerals.com/ ... mirez.html

Year AB H 2B HR AVG SLG SO K% Contact %
2004-2005 337 115 15 13 .341 .513 31 9.20% 90.8%
2005-2006 337 109 18 12 .323 .490 23 6.82% 93.2%
2006-2007 340 114 13 20 .335 .574 37 10.88% 89.12%

His 2004-2005 average was enough to place him in the top ten of league hitters, while his 20 home runs in 2006-2007 led the league.

The grain of salt to be taken here is that Baseball Prospectus’ Clay Davenport estimates the Cuban leagues are at about an ‘A’ minor league level. Averages tend to be high there, and power low (the league-leading averages in the three above seasons were .385, .447, and .371, and home runs 27, 27, and 20). I don’t have the knowledge or ability to translate these numbers into anything like a MLB equivalent, so it might be best to take the long, hedged view on these numbers: they seem to support Ramirez’s current bid to be a high-average hitter with some power.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 47)

Postby jfg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 am

I'm not really looking that hard right now at this, but his runs and RBI are very low. Is there a good reason for that, or are you guys overlooking it? He seems to be balanced with speed and power and a nice average... he's been hot but still, I wouldn't draft him in the top 50 with those runs and RBI and not huge power or speed numbers. He's not young, this was his 27 year if I'm not mistaken... I don't think the power is going to come. I have a feeling this is what you're going to get which isn't too shabby for a mid-round pick. I just wouldn't go much higher.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:29 pm

jfg wrote:I'm not really looking that hard right now at this, but his runs and RBI are very low. Is there a good reason for that, or are you guys overlooking it? He seems to be balanced with speed and power and a nice average... he's been hot but still, I wouldn't draft him in the top 50 with those runs and RBI and not huge power or speed numbers. He's not young, this was his 27 year if I'm not mistaken... I don't think the power is going to come. I have a feeling this is what you're going to get which isn't too shabby for a mid-round pick. I just wouldn't go much higher.

I don't know what numbers you are looking at.

381 50 15 60 10 51 10 0.3097

That puts him at 25 HRs ish over a full season, especially when you consider he didnt start getting comfortable (or get regular atbats) until mid-may. He hit something like .150 over his first 80 ABs as he was adjusting.

He is hitting in the 7th/8th spot most days, not exactly prime run-producing spots, and still projects to 75/90 in runs/RBIs.

I think he is Brandon Phillips level production, with maybe a little less speed and a little better BA. Look where Phillips went last year (3rd) and thats why I project him at that value.

Will I take him there, probably not, but only because I think he is under the radar enough to drop another round or two.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:22 am

It seems like people are getting awfully excited about a guy who has yet to sustain success past 400 plate appearences and has an abysmal BB/K ratio. Granted, there a few guys who can excel despite such a bad eye rate, but they are few and far between. Most often, a BB/K rate like that is not a recipe for long term success.

I would be happy to call Ramirez a top 10 2B next year who might do .280/20/20, but let's not get out of control and question whether he is better than Roberts (as one poster did). Against this, there is the possibility of a complete flameout (say .240 BA and losing his job by the all-star break) or something disappointing in between. I would be happy to have Ramirez at the right price, but I am not going to reach for a guy who is high risk and probably won't be much better than top 10 at his position anyway.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:11 pm

stumpak wrote:It seems like people are getting awfully excited about a guy who has yet to sustain success past 400 plate appearences and has an abysmal BB/K ratio. Granted, there a few guys who can excel despite such a bad eye rate, but they are few and far between. Most often, a BB/K rate like that is not a recipe for long term success.

I would be happy to call Ramirez a top 10 2B next year who might do .280/20/20, but let's not get out of control and question whether he is better than Roberts (as one poster did). Against this, there is the possibility of a complete flameout (say .240 BA and losing his job by the all-star break) or something disappointing in between. I would be happy to have Ramirez at the right price, but I am not going to reach for a guy who is high risk and probably won't be much better than top 10 at his position anyway.

It's not like he's on a 180 K pace, he doesn't strike out a lot either. Sure he K's 5 times to a walk but he doesn't strike out much either, if you just look at the counting stats. Sure, there's room for improvement, but he's been a pro for several years, he just needs to adjust to the US style of play.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby stumpak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 am

You are right, if you extrapolate over a full season, he is on pace for not even 100 Ks.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby joecahill » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Just out of curiosity, where do you Café-ers project Alexei in the SS pool for 2009 (assuming he retains SS eligibility in Yahoo! leagues)?
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers