Where is Alexei drafted next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where is Alexei drafted next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where is Alexei drafted next year?

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:39 pm

Old_Style wrote:Have there been any former Japanese league players that have been snubbed from winning the ROY?
You could argue Hideki Matsui over Angel Berroa, but Berroa had a pretty exceptional campaign.

He may have, but a number of voters have publicly come out and said they won't vote for Japanese vets who come over. All it could take is 1-2 to do the same with AR and any remote chance is toast.

Not that I don't love him,
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Old_Style wrote:Have there been any former Japanese league players that have been snubbed from winning the ROY?
You could argue Hideki Matsui over Angel Berroa, but Berroa had a pretty exceptional campaign.

You're right, but it's always brought up. Maybe Ramirez isn't being brought up because he's under the radar.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 pm

O.Cabrera is FA after the season, so Ramirez could play short and hit leadoff next year, as he did when Cabrera got a day off on Monday.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:21 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:O.Cabrera is FA after the season, so Ramirez could play short and hit leadoff next year, as he did when Cabrera got a day off on Monday.

If he is definitely the leadoff hitter I see no reason he shouldnt go by the 4th round. Phillips went in the third this year, and Ramirez should put up better overall numbers.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:47 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:O.Cabrera is FA after the season, so Ramirez could play short and hit leadoff next year, as he did when Cabrera got a day off on Monday.

If he is definitely the leadoff hitter I see no reason he shouldnt go by the 4th round. Phillips went in the third this year, and Ramirez should put up better overall numbers.

I don't think there will be to many guys that have the grapes to take Ramirez that early.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:03 pm

I'll be paying close attention to mock drafts as to where he goes.

That said, people making projections need to keep in mind that this is his first year in the U.S. Majors....He started the season looking like a fool at the plate (not including S.T., he did great there), and now he's hitting like a maniac.

Comparisons to Soriano for a ceiling -- yes, including power -- are not far fetched.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I'll be paying close attention to mock drafts as to where he goes.

That said, people making projections need to keep in mind that this is his first year in the U.S. Majors....He started the season looking like a fool at the plate (not including S.T., he did great there), and now he's hitting like a maniac.

Comparisons to Soriano for a ceiling -- yes, including power -- are not far fetched.

Thankfully I own him in my keeper and dynasty, or someone would have to talk me off the ledge next season about taking him 3-4 rounds too early.

I worry that he is next years Corey Hart, the guy that every mainstream writer talks about as their breakout stud before the season starts. I know he was on Berry's Love/Hate and was called out on ESPN, CBS and Yahoo's main page. Killed the chance of getting him at value.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tah161 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:41 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
tah161 wrote:With Longoria being hurt the past couple weeks and for who knows how much longer, does Alexie have a chance at Rookie of the Year?

Not if TB wins the divisions, and probably not otherwise. AR is going below the radar it seems, and I think there will be a few voters who treat him like the Japanese rookies, and not consider them eligible, since hes been a pro in Cuba for a decade.

True, but Longoria is even there for his teams stretch run, while Alexie is is in an even tigher race and he is actually producing for his team down the stretch.

I do see your point with him being a former pro in Cuban leagues though.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:14 am

I want to keep him so badly in a shallow keeper, but I don't know if I have the room. :-o :-o :-o :~(
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I'll be paying close attention to mock drafts as to where he goes.

Alexei: http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramiral03.shtml
Soriano: http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/soriaal01.shtml

Look at their first full seasons. It's not the power Alexei would have to catch up on, it's the speed. He's actually quite significantly ahead of the power pace Soriano set, but way behind on speed. But ahead in contact (way ahead). Alexei's on his way to K about 40% less than Soriano did, with a BA about .045 higher. Soriano's contact has always been lacking, and if Alexei were to become Soriano with much better contact and less speed, he'll be a true 5-cat monster.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers