PECOTA's Top 50 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PECOTA's Top 50

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: PECOTA's Top 50

Postby jfg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:33 pm

I've been pretty pleased with them and I think it's what puts them ahead of the rest of the pack. They miss sometimes but they've been pretty accurate in my experience- much better than the rest.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 pm

Yoda wrote:Below is a comparison of other curve ball hurlers whom I feel have some of the best stuff in the MLB.
He has more downward movement than Felix or Lincecum. The average differential between his fastball and curve is a whopping 20 MPH. His average fastball is nearly 95 as a 20 yo. You don't see too many raw talents like this very often. I'd probably take this kid top 10 if I were starting a team today.

I think the lack of speed (6-8mph) attributes to having more downward movement.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:56 pm

jfg wrote:I've been pretty pleased with them and I think it's what puts them ahead of the rest of the pack. They miss sometimes but they've been pretty accurate in my experience- much better than the rest.

I'll agree to disagree. I do like them a lot for players who have meaningful MLB experience. Not at all for rookies and prospects or players with limited experience.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:59 pm

markj11 wrote:I think the lack of speed (6-8mph) attributes to having more downward movement.

Agreed but when a guy who throws 95 MPH on average also has a 20 MPH differential and an 18" vertical differential between two pitches, that is pretty sick.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:45 pm

Yoda can I ask where you get your pitch (FX) data?

Also call me biased, but give me Webb over Johan, Peavy, and CC. Just seems like he is going to age well.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:10 pm

I won't bellyache too much about the list, it's not worth getting that worked up over, however I think the fact that Crab Cakes Sabathia would be the #1 pitcher they would build a team around is pretty damn surprising. He's not in my top 5 off the top of my head and I doubt he makes my top 10. I think too much is being made of his NL run and his collapse in last season's playoffs is not in anyone's mind.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:35 am

bigken117 wrote:I won't bellyache too much about the list, it's not worth getting that worked up over, however I think the fact that Crab Cakes Sabathia would be the #1 pitcher they would build a team around is pretty damn surprising. He's not in my top 5 off the top of my head and I doubt he makes my top 10. I think too much is being made of his NL run and his collapse in last season's playoffs is not in anyone's mind.

I think you have to worry about his future health as well given his weight.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:43 pm

I'm surprised Roy Halladay isn't a lot higher than he is. He's actually below Rich Harden. :-o Though I suppose his age hurts him.

I mean George W. picked Halladay when asked which pitcher in baseball he'd want to start a team with. Should I listen to PECOTA or Bush? :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:I'm surprised Roy Halladay isn't a lot higher than he is. He's actually below Rich Harden. :-o Though I suppose his age hurts him.

I mean George W. picked Halladay when asked which pitcher in baseball he'd want to start a team with. Should I listen to PECOTA or Bush? :-b

I don't think he can pronounce Lincecum. :-b

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:08 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I'm surprised Roy Halladay isn't a lot higher than he is. He's actually below Rich Harden. :-o Though I suppose his age hurts him.

I don't think he can pronounce Lincecum. :-b

Sure he can. He thinks it's his favorite cereal.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers