PECOTA's Top 50 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PECOTA's Top 50

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: PECOTA's Top 50

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:11 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Fantasy-wise no but 25 year old catchers with .373 career OBP don't grow on trees. Plus he is solid defensively and hits for a little pop.

Well, then I guess McCann and Mauer should be top 25 as well since they are just as young and better than Martin.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Do keep in mind this is for REAL baseball not fantasy. With that said, I'm not too impressed with the list so far. #1 for me would be a staff ace as far as real baseball goes. I think all the top pitchers should be toward the top of this list when it comes out.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:29 pm

J35J wrote:Do keep in mind this is for REAL baseball not fantasy. With that said, I'm not too impressed with the list so far. #1 for me would be a staff ace as far as real baseball goes. I think all the top pitchers should be toward the top of this list when it comes out.

I realize that this is for real baseball. However, catchers tend to have a lot shorter shelf life on average. Mauer is arguably the best overall catcher in MLB. McCann is a much better hitter than Martin and plays solid defense as well. I would argue all day that Mauer/McCann are better than Martin.

I agree with you that most, if not all the top spots should be near the top.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Yoda wrote:Well, then I guess McCann and Mauer should be top 25 as well since they are just as young and better than Martin.

They will both be in the top 25 cause they weren't mentioned yet. Mauer is better but I'm not so sure about McCann. He'll hit for more power than Martin but I don't think he can get on base as often plus his defense is pretty bad.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby clevername » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 pm

any list that has a player who hasn't even stepped onto a Major League field as the 32nd best player in the game is worthless.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:45 pm

clevername wrote:any list that has a player who hasn't even stepped onto a Major League field as the 32nd best player in the game is worthless.

The question isn't "Who are the best players?". The question is "Who are the best players to build a team around?" That gives youngers players a huge boost.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby thedude » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:08 pm

The list is not choosing the 50 best players today. It is listing the best players to build around for next seven years based on VORP. VORP is heavily dependent upon position, so of course a young second baseman who had a rookie WARP of 7.1 (and will have a WARP over 7.5 in his second year) will be highly rated. That is also why the young catchers are so highly rated. the replacement level offense of a corner OF or 1b/3b is so much higher the replacement level for middle infielders and catchers, that is going to effect the list.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Here is the second half of the list:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=7976
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:19 pm

It is still severely flawed. No Kershaw? The youngest pitcher in MLB by far today and more than holding his own is not even an honorable mention? Please.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 pm

First pitcher is #9.....I don't like that. I'm absolutely building my team around a young stud arm...Lincecum, Hamels, etc
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers