California Lawmakers Say Electric Cars Danger to Blind - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

California Lawmakers Say Electric Cars Danger to Blind

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: California Lawmakers Say Electric Cars Danger to Blind

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't get this attitude at all. When I was born seat belts were not used and motorcyclists did not wear helmets. Today we think that people that don't use these basic safety devices are reckless. Things change, nothing more so than cars and traffic. If we can make some changes that will save lives why not do it? Today we may find that it's intrusive but in ten years time it will be viewed as basic safety along with the seat belt and the bike helmet.

Yes, it's safer. Yes, every time we get in the car, I make sure my daughter is buckled in properly before we get going. But I, probably you, and a fair portion of us here at the Cafe grew up in an era where this kind of safety was unheard of. Certainly for me, because when I was a kid we never, ever wore seatbelts. We would ride around in the bed of my dad's pickup most of the time, sometimes on the highway, unsecured. That's just what everyone did. Yeah, lots of kids got hurt back then, but not anyone that I knew, and certainly not me, or you, or Madison, or anyone else old enough to have lived through the seatbelt-less days that posts here.

There's a certain amount of risk we accept every day. Just getting out of bed could be hazardous. Where we have to live is in that balance point of Safe vs. Ridiculous. We all know it's Ridiculous to make the highway speed limit 100mph (161kph for you, Mookie), and we all know that it would be Ridiculous to make it 35mph as well. The balance point is somewhere in the middle, either at 75 or 55 or whatever. You have to factor in practicality and safety and general driving ability and everything and come up with something that we can all live with.

All I'm saying, and probably Madison too, is that putting a bell on electric cars (or whatever) is just a bit much. Is it safer? Sure. But is it necessary? Not to me.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:00 pm

dclark0699 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:What are blind people doing trying to cross the street without help anyway?

Something I've never understood - is those crossing lights that "chirp" so that blind people know when they can cross, how do the blind people know where the orad is to stop and wait for the chirp?

Please tell me you're serious.

I've never been more serious about anything in my entire life.

People are sooooo going to laugh at you for this. :-b

Do you not know any blind people? Do you have none in your community? They're not completely helpless, man. They get around pretty well. There are five or six who work in my building alone. I think the guy who runs the cafe downstairs is blind, as are a couple of his employees, and the guy who owns the vending machines in the break areas on each floor is blind, too. They move a little more slowly than the sighted, but they do just fine.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

knapplc wrote:People are sooooo going to laugh at you for this. :-b

Do you not know any blind people? Do you have none in your community? They're not completely helpless, man. They get around pretty well. There are five or six who work in my building alone. I think the guy who runs the cafe downstairs is blind, as are a couple of his employees, and the guy who owns the vending machines in the break areas on each floor is blind, too. They move a little more slowly than the sighted, but they do just fine.

I've never met a blind person in my life, don't know one, haven't seen but maybe one or two using a dog to go through campus at OSU.

I guess I just have a different idea of what blind means. I mean my brother is "legally blind" but he wears contacts and has no problems with anything. When I think of blind I think of vision that can't be fixed with lenses, using a cane with a tennis ball on it so you don't run into walls or another person - and thus can't imagine what it is like to be in that condition.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:16 pm

I have such a hard time grasping how you can be so isolated from blind people on such a huge campus like OSU. I guess it's not impossible to believe, just unlikely.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:19 pm

knapplc wrote:I have such a hard time grasping how you can be so isolated from blind people on such a huge campus like OSU. I guess it's not impossible to believe, just unlikely.

It's entirely possible that I'm not isolated from them and just don't notice. I mean, I clearly wouldn't be able to tell unless they have the green-jacketed doggy with them
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:23 pm

Interesting. I remember seeing a news segment about a couple of months back that said hybrid cars did more harm than conventional gas-powered cars in emitting EMP's (electromagnetic pulses). Apparently, they're also a danger to blind pedestrians.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:51 am

knapplc wrote:All I'm saying, and probably Madison too, is that putting a bell on electric cars (or whatever) is just a bit much. Is it safer? Sure. But is it necessary? Not to me.

I was just making a joke. You mentioned covering everything in rubber, and I thought building everything out of Nerf was a better idea, so I said it. :-b

But I do agree that there will always be dangers out there and that it can reach a point of being so protective it is silly. I'm unsure as to where this falls until I hear how more about the proposed changes.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rotundor » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:55 am

Actually saw on the news a couple months back about electrics cars getting speakers in the wheel wells that would emulate car noises and project them in the direction of travel.

vroomvroom
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 am

Rotundor wrote:Actually saw on the news a couple months back about electrics cars getting speakers in the wheel wells that would emulate car noises and project them in the direction of travel.

vroomvroom

My first thought when reading the news snippet was of course that the cars should go WOO WOO!

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:10 pm

I heard something about this on the radio and I think they have a legitimate case in some instances. I think one person made a good point about having a small chirp when the brake is released or something like that. I agree that we simply can't make everyone happy, but I think we also need to look at all possibilities.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk