In Mother Russia, Harrassment Sexes YOU! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

In Mother Russia, Harrassment Sexes YOU!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: In Mother Russia, Harrassment Sexes YOU!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:29 am

I'm intrigued (is that the right word) by the judge's comments that noone would be pregnant if it weren't for sexual harassment. Maybe his definition of sexual harassment is different than what I perceive it to be. Obviously people hook up at work all the time. This usually doesn't start or include sexual harassment. When you flirt it's not necessarily sexual harassment, or shouldn't be anyway. So I'm amused a bit that this judge considers these two the same.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:55 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm intrigued (is that the right word) by the judge's comments that noone would be pregnant if it weren't for sexual harassment. Maybe his definition of sexual harassment is different than what I perceive it to be. Obviously people hook up at work all the time. This usually doesn't start or include sexual harassment. When you flirt it's not necessarily sexual harassment, or shouldn't be anyway. So I'm amused a bit that this judge considers these two the same.

This is why I think something was lost in translation. This seems like a quote from a characterization of a Russian judge. My hunch is that his words were translated specifically to feed the sensationalism of the article.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wake » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:44 am

Amazinz wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm intrigued (is that the right word) by the judge's comments that noone would be pregnant if it weren't for sexual harassment. Maybe his definition of sexual harassment is different than what I perceive it to be. Obviously people hook up at work all the time. This usually doesn't start or include sexual harassment. When you flirt it's not necessarily sexual harassment, or shouldn't be anyway. So I'm amused a bit that this judge considers these two the same.

This is why I think something was lost in translation. This seems like a quote from a characterization of a Russian judge. My hunch is that his words were translated specifically to feed the sensationalism of the article.

My guess is he said something more along the lines of "If no one ever made a first move for a relationship, no one would ever get together, and then there would be no children".
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:08 pm

I don't doubt for a second that that is a direct, accurate quote from that judge. From what I see here in America, where we're supposed to be so advanced in women's rights, then translate that behavior to Russia where women are still second-class citizens... yeah, I have no trouble thinking he really said that.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:35 pm

Check this out: According to this blog the article above conveniently avoids the fact that the judge is female. Anyway read the blog if interested. It does call foul on one of the translations but not the one we're discussing. This is why I always doubt the media.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:04 pm

these women have no one to blame but themselves. if they stuck to being tennis players, gmynasts, housewives or mail-order brides instead of trying to steal jobs from the men they wouldnt be harrassed
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:these women have no one to blame but themselves. if they stuck to being tennis players, gmynasts, housewives or mail-order brides instead of trying to steal jobs from the men they wouldnt be harrassed

I think you forgot to add ;-7 at the end of your post... :-b
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby fezzik » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:14 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:these women have no one to blame but themselves. if they stuck to being tennis players, gmynasts, housewives or mail-order brides instead of trying to steal jobs from the men they wouldnt be harrassed

But that wouldn't have been as funny... :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:20 pm

rookies and cream wrote:

Rookies, I'd like to introduce you to Dan Lambskin. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:

Rookies, I'd like to introduce you to Dan Lambskin. :-D

always leave them guessing :-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk