Rewards Credit Cards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rewards Credit Cards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rewards Credit Cards

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Field wrote:So does anyone here buy everything with a credit card? I usually purchase large items with my cc and small purchases with my debit card. I'm thinking about just using my cc all the time and paying it off right away to take advantage of some of the deal mentioned earlier.

We have been doing the same thing you do with large on the points card and everyday on the debit card, but after pinching every penny we can, we have decided to go with the all-cc option. Not only will we make money on it, but it's also more secure. If someone gets hold of your debit card number, they drain your cash before you realize it. If it's a credit card, they drain the bank's cash.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:59 pm

how about jt just hooks us all up with the best mastercard they have to offer with the best rewards for the lowest apr with no fees? sound good?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:how about jt just hooks us all up with the best mastercard they have to offer with the best rewards for the lowest apr with no fees? sound good?

Mastercard doesn't issue cards. We only process the transaction and take a cut.

That's why you see Bank of America Mastercard, Fifth-Third MasterCard, Citi Mastercard...

Those are the banks lending the money and, thus, setting the rates. I can't do a thing for you.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

So after lots of digging it came down to an Amex Preferred Rewards Gold card and a Capital One No Hassle Miles Ultra for Professionals card. The Amex had $125 annual fee and the CapOne had a $39 annual fee.

Amex: $1 = 1 point, nice travel services, event services could be cool, good merchant partnerships, limited airline choice (all but 2 i never use), limited hotel choices (dont use any), points never expire, cash redemtion option
CapOne: $1 = 2 points, some travel services, any airline/hotel, no blackout, no seat restrictions, points never expire, 15,000 min redemption, cash redemption option

I went with the CapOne card (assuming i get approved) mainly b/c the points are double and waaaaaay more useful for my airline and hotel needs. I'm sure the Amex event and merchant perks are nice, but I don't think i'd get much use out of them. and the fee is much more.

Of note: There is a similar CapOne card that has no annual fee, but only offer 1.25 points per $1. As long as you swipe at least $3200/yr it seems like a no-brainer to pay the fee.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:53 pm

JTWood wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:how about jt just hooks us all up with the best mastercard they have to offer with the best rewards for the lowest apr with no fees? sound good?

That's why you see Bank of America Mastercard, Fifth-Third MasterCard, Citi Mastercard...

Those are the banks lending the money and, thus, setting the rates. I can't do a thing for you.

i was joking ;-)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:55 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
JTWood wrote:

i was joking ;-)

I wasn't. ;-) ;-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:17 pm

awesome ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-7

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 am

Field wrote:So does anyone here buy everything with a credit card?

I still pay for the majority of stuff with cash. I have a credit card (nice platinum with a high limit and low APR) that I use for online purchases, big ticket items, etc., and I pay it off every month. Really there's only two reasons I even have a credit card. First is to keep my credit active and in good standing, and the other is for a "worst case scenario" type of thing (such as the emergency appendectomy I had a couple of months ago - first time I've ever carried a balance on that card).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby markj11 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:32 am

Madison wrote:
Field wrote:So does anyone here buy everything with a credit card?

I still pay for the majority of stuff with cash. I have a credit card (nice platinum with a high limit and low APR) that I use for online purchases, big ticket items, etc., and I pay it off every month. Really there's only two reasons I even have a credit card. First is to keep my credit active and in good standing, and the other is for a "worst case scenario" type of thing (such as the emergency appendectomy I had a couple of months ago - first time I've ever carried a balance on that card).

I have Care Credit cc, it is used for medical purposes and gives you 12 months no interest each use. http://www.carecredit.com/
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:46 am

JTWood wrote:

What other kinds of MasterCards are there?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk