Colleges Ask, "Should We Lower Drinking Age?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Colleges Ask, "Should We Lower Drinking Age?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Colleges Ask, "Should We Lower Drinking Age?"

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:27 am

Well, being 18 almost 19, I can say it's fairly easy for just about everyone my age to access alcohol if they want. I could drink right now if I wanted.

It doesn't matter what the age limit is, I'd drink the same amount probably. I just wouldn't have to be sneaky about it if I do decide to drink.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:13 pm

sblinyy wrote:The legal age now is 21 and I'm positive that lot of people drink from the age 18-20. So does anyone think that lowering the legal age to 18 would cause more people the age of 15-17 to drink?

i think it would be negligible...between a group of kids i'm sure one of them has an older sibling, cousin, whatever that will buy for them...or you can always try standing outside a party store and offer some drunk $10 to buy you a case
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
sblinyy wrote:The legal age now is 21 and I'm positive that lot of people drink from the age 18-20. So does anyone think that lowering the legal age to 18 would cause more people the age of 15-17 to drink?

i think it would be negligible...between a group of kids i'm sure one of them has an older sibling, cousin, whatever that will buy for them...or you can always try standing outside a party store and offer some drunk $10 to buy you a case

people are kidding themselves if they think kids that age don't already drink.

Of course during all of this it kind of makes me laugh sometimes. People are so worried about weed becoming legal, of course a drug dealer has no impetus to card kids.

There are tons of things that by eliminating them we would be safer. I mean even free speech, we would be better of sans KKK and Aryan this and that. But they are allowed. That is why I think the MADD and SADD groups need to understand and stand down a bit.

I mean its absurd that you can vote, go to war, get an abortion, sit on a jury, move out of your parents house, smoke cigarettes, but you can't drink? It's just illogical. Considering that driving isn't a right, perhaps moving that to 21 is the move. I mean I didn't get my license until 17 (Jersey). But if they made it 18, for all practical purposes, I probably wouldn't have NEEDED one until 21. Breaks would have stunk, but I certainly didn't need one on campus.

I think we would be a lot better off if the age was lowered, the booze taxed more, and MADD and SADD had to do more fund raising. Use the taxes, funds and awareness to supply more mass transit where appropriate, or at least ride share programs in less dense areas. It's kind of weird, living in DC, there are definitely "areas" that are zoned for concentrations for bars and stuff (adam's morgan)-- which raises its own issues of fights, debauchery, tomfoolery, etc. On the other hand, you can get there fairly easily (could be better) by subway or bus, you know to station more cops there, you know not to live there for noise etc. I think in some ways keeping it cordoned is good too.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby markj11 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:42 pm

Man growing up 30 minutes was Louisianna when it was still 18 was great. As soon as we got our liscense, 15, we would fake them to be 18.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:05 pm

The day they outlaw tomfoolery, I'm out of here.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:The day they outlaw tomfoolery, I'm out of here.

baldersdash.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:01 pm

great gretzky wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

people are kidding themselves if they think kids that age don't already drink.

Of course during all of this it kind of makes me laugh sometimes. People are so worried about weed becoming legal, of course a drug dealer has no impetus to card kids.

There are tons of things that by eliminating them we would be safer. I mean even free speech, we would be better of sans KKK and Aryan this and that. But they are allowed. That is why I think the MADD and SADD groups need to understand and stand down a bit.

I mean its absurd that you can vote, go to war, get an abortion, sit on a jury, move out of your parents house, smoke cigarettes, but you can't drink? It's just illogical. Considering that driving isn't a right, perhaps moving that to 21 is the move. I mean I didn't get my license until 17 (Jersey). But if they made it 18, for all practical purposes, I probably wouldn't have NEEDED one until 21. Breaks would have stunk, but I certainly didn't need one on campus.

I think we would be a lot better off if the age was lowered, the booze taxed more, and MADD and SADD had to do more fund raising. Use the taxes, funds and awareness to supply more mass transit where appropriate, or at least ride share programs in less dense areas. It's kind of weird, living in DC, there are definitely "areas" that are zoned for concentrations for bars and stuff (adam's morgan)-- which raises its own issues of fights, debauchery, tomfoolery, etc. On the other hand, you can get there fairly easily (could be better) by subway or bus, you know to station more cops there, you know not to live there for noise etc. I think in some ways keeping it cordoned is good too.

Not everyone has that luxury. Going to college, living on a campus, not necessitating a car. There are people out there who need their own transportation to get them to and from work every day at 18, hell, at 16. I, myself, was in a similar situation to you, and I was fortunate to live in a city during college, so I could get a bus or cab to wherever I needed to go, but after my Freshman year I always had my car anyway.

The only thing that would really get me uproarious was if they outlawed debauchery.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Mugrila » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:03 pm

I see nothing wrong with lowering the drinking age. If you put the booze on a pedestal instead of just treating it like a part of a meal, then you run into problems. Another issue is parents educating and setting a good example, but we all know that's an even bigger problem.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby great gretzky » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:14 pm

well there is no perfect answer, I grant that. I guess my overall point is driving is technically not a right. And they need to do something to make public transportation more viable -- something you rarely hear from the drunk driving organizations -- because I think more of them prefer the teetotalism lifestyle and think others should as well.

Public transit is so key for so many reasons. Not to mention that i loved living in New York and DC for that reason. No designated driver, etc.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:40 pm

A significant portion of our population lives in areas where public transportation is not feasible.

I wouldn't champion a reduction in the drinking age but I wouldn't vote against it either. If you're an adult at 18 in every other facet of our society than you should probably be an adult in this instance too even if it has a dark side.

I can't blame drunk driving orgs for fighting it though. I doubt it has anything to do with "teetotalism lifestyle". These people are from all walks of life.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk