Jason Bay thread. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Bay thread.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby great gretzky » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:36 pm

I'll weigh in ...

"stay classy" is not even in the slightest bit appropriate. Winning the WS doesn't grant you immunity in perpetuity. Behaving like that because you did something in the past and feel are owed in the present is basically resting on laurels. The team has work to do now, and Manny was being immature about it. Let's not forget he requested the trade, and he was sabotaging things. Having fond memories or a past together isn't reason to stay in something in the present that isn't working.

They could have just let him twist and benched him too. but they didn't, they traded him.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby pappymojo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:15 pm

Also, wasn't Bay having a great year before the trade? Is there anything to Bay's numbers that would suggest that he is vastly overperforming what he was doing before the trade?

Manny, on the other hand, was having an okay year that seemed to have quickly deteriorated into a slightly less than okay year. Since the trade though he's been on fire.

That's where the comments that Manny wasn't playing hard are coming from. I don't think you can make the same argument for Jason Bay, because he was playing well before the trade.

Now, I personally think that Manny's increase in production is simply due to a change of scenary. Manny's year has probably been rejuvinated just through the excitement of a fresh start in a new city. It's to be expected. He's playing in a new city. It's easy to get excited and to want to play baseball.

What we're all seeing right now is a happy Manny Ramirez. I'm not surprised in the least that he is playing as well as he is. I just don't think he would be playing that well if he had stayed with the Sox. He was obviously unhappy playing for us.

As for your 'stay classy red sox fans' comments,... whatever dude. Are the fans supposed to feel bad for someone who gets paid close to $20 million to play baseball but who is so obviously unhappy and emotionally child-like?

Come back and talk to us towards the end of next year if the team he's playing for is out of contention and/or Manny feels that he isn't being paid enough money.

I think that most Red Sox fans will tell you that they honestly value and appreciate the contributions Manny has made to the team over the years, but the relationship had soured and I'm looking forward to the team that develops over the next couple of years.

As for Jason Bay, the subject of this thread by the way, I like the attitude, I like the effort, and I hope for continued success.

Mod edited
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1025
Joined: 28 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: boston

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby AllDay » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:46 am

pappymojo wrote:Also, wasn't Bay having a great year before the trade? Is there anything to Bay's numbers that would suggest that he is vastly overperforming what he was doing before the trade?


His BA is 50 points higher, and his SB, RBI and R rates are significantly increased over his Pirate numbers.

Bay was having a good year - but since the trade he has been generating better stats nearly across the board.

For other posters, Manny's actions in Boston have nothing to do with accusing him of tanking. To say Manny was tanking because he was acting selfishly or immaturely has little to do with a post-trade tanking accusation. All you have is stats - and the stats would also say Bay was tanking.
30
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 287
Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 am

AllDay wrote:
pappymojo wrote:Also, wasn't Bay having a great year before the trade? Is there anything to Bay's numbers that would suggest that he is vastly overperforming what he was doing before the trade?


His BA is 50 points higher, and his SB, RBI and R rates are significantly increased over his Pirate numbers.

Bay was having a good year - but since the trade he has been generating better stats nearly across the board.

For other posters, Manny's actions in Boston have nothing to do with accusing him of tanking. To say Manny was tanking because he was acting selfishly or immaturely has little to do with a post-trade tanking accusation. All you have is stats - and the stats would also say Bay was tanking.

:-t
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby WyldStallyn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:13 am

AllDay wrote:
pappymojo wrote:Also, wasn't Bay having a great year before the trade? Is there anything to Bay's numbers that would suggest that he is vastly overperforming what he was doing before the trade?


His BA is 50 points higher, and his SB, RBI and R rates are significantly increased over his Pirate numbers.

Bay was having a good year - but since the trade he has been generating better stats nearly across the board.

For other posters, Manny's actions in Boston have nothing to do with accusing him of tanking. To say Manny was tanking because he was acting selfishly or immaturely has little to do with a post-trade tanking accusation. All you have is stats - and the stats would also say Bay was tanking.


or they would say that bay had a poor supporting lineup in pitt
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1927
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:20 pm

WyldStallyn wrote:
AllDay wrote:
pappymojo wrote:Also, wasn't Bay having a great year before the trade? Is there anything to Bay's numbers that would suggest that he is vastly overperforming what he was doing before the trade?


His BA is 50 points higher, and his SB, RBI and R rates are significantly increased over his Pirate numbers.

Bay was having a good year - but since the trade he has been generating better stats nearly across the board.

For other posters, Manny's actions in Boston have nothing to do with accusing him of tanking. To say Manny was tanking because he was acting selfishly or immaturely has little to do with a post-trade tanking accusation. All you have is stats - and the stats would also say Bay was tanking.


or they would say that bay had a poor supporting lineup in pitt

or that his name was brought up in so many trade rumors that he had no idea where he was going to end up.
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby AllDay » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:42 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
WyldStallyn wrote:
AllDay wrote:
His BA is 50 points higher, and his SB, RBI and R rates are significantly increased over his Pirate numbers.

Bay was having a good year - but since the trade he has been generating better stats nearly across the board.

For other posters, Manny's actions in Boston have nothing to do with accusing him of tanking. To say Manny was tanking because he was acting selfishly or immaturely has little to do with a post-trade tanking accusation. All you have is stats - and the stats would also say Bay was tanking.


or they would say that bay had a poor supporting lineup in pitt

or that his name was brought up in so many trade rumors that he had no idea where he was going to end up.

or they could say the same things about Manny.
30
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 287
Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jason Bay thread.

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:56 am

AllDay wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:
WyldStallyn wrote:
or they would say that bay had a poor supporting lineup in pitt

or that his name was brought up in so many trade rumors that he had no idea where he was going to end up.

or they could say the same things about Manny.

Or you could just give it a rest already because your argument has no merit...
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact