Return to General Talk

Head Scratcher (news story)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Head Scratcher (news story)

Postby byfrcp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
You feel this should be handled differently? I'm sorry, but I don't have a problem with the way this was handled, but if it were the other way around I would.

How does making him pay child support make this handled correctly?

He cannot legally consent to having sex with the girl. Therefore she raped him. So the boy was raped by the girl, the girl had a baby, and now the court wants to boy to pay for the child he legally could not have. There's clearly something wrong with that.

According to the law he was raped. According to our logic he was not. There's a 3 year difference in age here folks. Think about it. It is ok to think outside the box a little bit.

So the courts can now throw out laws and just go by logic? I'm not saying the law that a 15 year old can't consent to sex is right, but it is the law.

This reminds me of that 11 year old boy who killed a girl "fake wrestling". And the court tried him as an adult. The kid was in elementary school and getting tried as an adult. I don't really understand how the law can say you need to be 18 to be an adult (go to war/vote), yet they can try an 11 year old as an adult?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:You feel this should be handled differently? I'm sorry, but I don't have a problem with the way this was handled, but if it were the other way around I would.

How does making him pay child support make this handled correctly?

He cannot legally consent to having sex with the girl. Therefore she raped him. So the boy was raped by the girl, the girl had a baby, and now the court wants to boy to pay for the child he legally could not have. There's clearly something wrong with that.

According to the law he was raped. According to our logic he was not. There's a 3 year difference in age here folks. Think about it. It is ok to think outside the box a little bit.

I'm just curious how you'd view it differently if the male was the elder in the 3 year difference in age here, folks.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:01 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm just curious how you'd view it differently if the male was the elder in the 3 year difference in age here, folks.

If it's still only a 3 year difference not as much. I wouldn't consider a 19-year old male who sleeps with a 16-year old girl a pedophile or sexual predator. A chooser of bad decisions maybe, but not necessarily a danger to little girls everywhere.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:According to the law he was raped. According to our logic he was not. There's a 3 year difference in age here folks. Think about it. It is ok to think outside the box a little bit.

4 years. She was 19, he was 15 at the time of conception. Huge difference in maturity levels between 15 and 19.

If judges thought "outside the box" and just ruled however they "felt" it should go, we might as well toss laws out the window because they don't mean anything anymore. Wanna drive drunk? Just make sure you get the right judge! :-B Stupid example of course, but allowing a sexual predator (child molestation) to have custody of an infant, while forcing the victim (by law he was raped) to pay money to the sexual predator is just as silly. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:27 am

I didn't read the story, but I'm assuming the sex was consensual so the boy should have to pay child support. Not sure the girl should get the child though since shes the one who broke the law here... :-?
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:28 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:I didn't read the story, but I'm assuming the sex was consensual so the boy should have to pay child support. Not sure the girl should get the child though since shes the one who broke the law here... :-?

Minors cannot consent, legally.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:01 am

bigh0rt wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:I didn't read the story, but I'm assuming the sex was consensual so the boy should have to pay child support. Not sure the girl should get the child though since shes the one who broke the law here... :-?

Minors cannot consent, legally.

I know, just saying I consider sex with a minor and physically raping a minor different, even if they are both considered rape.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk