Head Scratcher (news story) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Head Scratcher (news story)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Head Scratcher (news story)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 am

16-yr-old to pay child support to 19-yr-old mom

http://current.com/items/89213469_16_yr_old_to_pay_child_support_to_19_yr_old_mom

Short version: 19 year old girl has sex with a 15 year old boy. Has a baby, DNA tests show it is his. She is accused of child molestation and charged with unlawful sexual conduct and faces 18 months in jail. The boy is now 16 and has been court ordered to pay child support to the 19 year old.

Second source since this is so goofy:

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/08/16/janecrane.ART_ART_08-16-08_B1_T0B1RSR.html?sid=101

Huh? :-S
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Head Scratcher (news story)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:13 am

f both were 16 the father would be forced to pay child support. the kid had consensual sex with the girl, so i dont get what the big hub-bub is.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:55 am

Snakes Gould wrote:the kid had consensual sex with the girl, so i dont get what the big hub-bub is.

The hub-bub :-D is quite interesting actually, which is why I posted it up. 18 months in jail and she has to file as a sex offender for the next 25 years, yet the judge didn't take custody away from her. In fact, he made the boy that got molested pay child support.

Quite interesting and full of "hub-bub". :-D

Imagine it in reverse. Man rapes woman, gets custody of the child, and she (the victim) has to pay child support to the rapist? Quite a story...

And quite goofy... :-S :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:16 am

Madison wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:the kid had consensual sex with the girl, so i dont get what the big hub-bub is.

The hub-bub :-D is quite interesting actually, which is why I posted it up. 18 months in jail and she has to file as a sex offender for the next 25 years, yet the judge didn't take custody away from her. In fact, he made the boy that got molested pay child support.

Imagine it in reverse. Man rapes woman, gets custody of the child, and she (the victim) has to pay child support to the rapist? Quite a story...

basically just a huge double standard. its "molestation" in one situation, and then a legitimate "relationship" in the next.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:54 pm

Just another example of how the current system leans heavily in favor of women.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby thedude » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Madison wrote:

basically just a huge double standard. its "molestation" in one situation, and then a legitimate "relationship" in the next.

Well the court did rule that she molested him... I think there is grounds for an appeal here.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:41 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Just another example of how the current system leans heavily in favor of women.

Well she is facing 18 months in jail and having to register as a sex offender for the next 25 years, so it's not like they completely ignored her.

I'm curious as to how/why a judge allowed a sexual predator (according to the law) to have custody of a kid. :-?

I'm also curious as to what the youngest person to be court ordered to pay child support is. This kid is 16 and they didn't mention a landmark decision, first of its kind, or anything like that, so I'm guessing another minor (child) out there somewhere has been ordered to pay child support in a seperate case? :-?

And of course the obvious weirdness of the victim being punished comes to mind. I mean one can argue there's no way the boy wasn't willing, but by law he is the victim, so why was he court ordered to pay child support to the sexual predator? 8-o :-o :-?

Goofy. :-S I keep using that because I've got no other way to describe this situation. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:44 am

StlSluggers wrote:Just another example of how the current system leans heavily in favor of women.

You feel this should be handled differently? I'm sorry, but I don't have a problem with the way this was handled, but if it were the other way around I would.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby byfrcp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

You feel this should be handled differently? I'm sorry, but I don't have a problem with the way this was handled, but if it were the other way around I would.

How does making him pay child support make this handled correctly?

He cannot legally consent to having sex with the girl. Therefore she raped him. So the boy was raped by the girl, the girl had a baby, and now the court wants to boy to pay for the child he legally could not have. There's clearly something wrong with that.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:56 pm

byfrcp wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

How does making him pay child support make this handled correctly?

He cannot legally consent to having sex with the girl. Therefore she raped him. So the boy was raped by the girl, the girl had a baby, and now the court wants to boy to pay for the child he legally could not have. There's clearly something wrong with that.

According to the law he was raped. According to our logic he was not. There's a 3 year difference in age here folks. Think about it. It is ok to think outside the box a little bit.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk