Maddux to LAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Maddux to LAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Maddux to LAD

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:46 am

Maddux at this point in his career is definitely an innings-eater. His K/9 leaves a lot to be desired, but as a #5 guy, he'll help the Dodgers make a playoff push more so than an injured Penny. I'm pretty confident we can bash the NLWest teams and emerge as the division champions, but what is our 1-2 punch in the playoffs? Billingsley and Lowe? I don't know if that's going to get it done.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pangbones » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:32 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Maddux at this point in his career is definitely an innings-eater. His K/9 leaves a lot to be desired, but as a #5 guy, he'll help the Dodgers make a playoff push more so than an injured Penny. I'm pretty confident we can bash the NLWest teams and emerge as the division champions, but what is our 1-2 punch in the playoffs? Billingsley and Lowe? I don't know if that's going to get it done.

That probably won't get it done. But I think the Dodgers will win the division now that they have Maddux. I don't think Maddux's fantasy value changes all that much. I think it helps him a little bit, but not too much. Maddux was money at Petco, but never got any run support. He's had pretty good numbers at Dodger stadium, (though that was always against the Dodgers). But he's going to be facing pretty much all NL west teams the rest of the way so that bodes well for him and the Dodgers.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Marrakesh Express » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:52 pm

plus he'll be a good teacher for the younger pitchers on the staff, yea right, this won't help them that much in my opinion. Yes they will contend but The dbacks are going to win the west.
Marrakesh Express
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rman3911 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:09 pm

The Dodgers have to have been BLIND to pull this one off. As a D backs fan I'm exstatic! The D backs absolutely CRUSH Maddux, year in and year out, and they go and pick him up while their biggest rival in the divisions has a history of shelling him? lol WOW
Rman3911
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stevethumb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:not sure if this is a big upgrade for the dodgers. i guess i'll take maddog but he's going to be more of an innings eater than a crucial starter in the rotation.

probably just a quibble here, but i wouldn't classify maddux as an innings eater..he averages 5 2/3 IP each start so the bullpen gets quite a workout .. he does take the ball every 5th day .. nice pickup by the dodgers..i wonder if SD is paying his salary too ?!
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:01 pm

stevethumb wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:not sure if this is a big upgrade for the dodgers. i guess i'll take maddog but he's going to be more of an innings eater than a crucial starter in the rotation.

probably just a quibble here, but i wouldn't classify maddux as an innings eater..he averages 5 2/3 IP each start so the bullpen gets quite a workout .. he does take the ball every 5th day .. nice pickup by the dodgers..i wonder if SD is paying his salary too ?!

He's not an inning eater. But he's a decent pitcher who will go out there and give you a "chance to win" most nights. He's better than whoever the Dodgers would have called up from AAA to replace Penny...

Good deal by the Dodgers....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Well, Maddux isn't exactly an innings eater, he's an emergency stopgap fill-in option that can still pitch a solid 5 or 6 innings without getting the Dodgers in a serious hole right out of the gate. Of course, having Manny on board changes the complexion of the offense but Maddux combined with the Dodger bullpen being relatively good (I wouldn't say lights out really), Maddux makes a good deal of sense for the stretch run.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Rimrattlerla11 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Rman3911 wrote:The Dodgers have to have been BLIND to pull this one off. As a D backs fan I'm exstatic! The D backs absolutely CRUSH Maddux, year in and year out, and they go and pick him up while their biggest rival in the divisions has a history of shelling him? lol WOW

:-b .... Taking a quick look at the Dodgers schedule... assuming Maddux pitches Saturday @ Philadelphia (I'm assuming they pitch the usual starters on regular rest and plug Maddux into the open spot for Saturday ), then Maddux will miss pitching in both of the upcoming home and home Arizona- LA series for both teams.

i wonder if SD is paying his salary too

I think I heard that SD and LA will split his remaining salary for the season...
Rimrattlerla11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates