Pablo Sandoval... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pablo Sandoval...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pablo Sandoval...

Postby B-Chad » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:18 pm

had a 3-5 night at the plate tonight in his second game since getting promoted by the Giants. He's raked in high A and AA all year and will get a chance to play pretty regularly I'd imagine with the Giants out of contention. He's catcher eligible and hit 20 HR's in the minors before the promotion (many of which coming in a pitcher's ballpark in Connecticut). Considering he'll probably get time at both catcher and 1st, he might be worth a look for owners in NL only leagues, and who knows, maybe even mixed or two catcher leagues. I'd say keep an eye on him.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pablo Sandoval...

Postby Old_Style » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:41 am

B-Chad wrote:had a 3-5 night at the plate tonight in his second game since getting promoted by the Giants. He's raked in high A and AA all year and will get a chance to play pretty regularly I'd imagine with the Giants out of contention. He's catcher eligible and hit 20 HR's in the minors before the promotion (many of which coming in a pitcher's ballpark in Connecticut). Considering he'll probably get time at both catcher and 1st, he might be worth a look for owners in NL only leagues, and who knows, maybe even mixed or two catcher leagues. I'd say keep an eye on him.

I was just about to start a thread about this guy after hearing about him on the Fantasy 411 last night. His minor league numbers are pretty impressive. I don't know if this false hope or not, but I'm already looking at him as a sleeper catcher for '09.
Geovany Soto part deux? :-?

I'm curious to hear what some of you guys think about this guy.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:03 am

Interesting guy here. One thing I question is how much PT he gets with the Giants, however. I would think Molina's going to catch at least 4 days a week still. And it seems that Sandoval can only play C and 1B. Don't the Giants have like a million guys that they'd want to at least see at 1B( a little Aurilia, Ishikawa, Bowker, Schierholtz once he's back from Olympics?). I just get worried that once roster expansion occurs, no Giants will have value because they are all going to play part-time. If there are any Giants fans that can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it... ;-D
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby B-Chad » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm a Giants fan, and he could conceivably get a look at 3rd as well because that's actually where he started his minor league career. It's not a lock he'll get regular playing time, but I think with his versatility, he'll certainly be out there as much as any other catcher who gets regular days off. The beauty with him is, he might get some of his starts not catching and wearing himself out.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Old_Style » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:31 pm

B-Chad wrote:I'm a Giants fan, and he could conceivably get a look at 3rd as well because that's actually where he started his minor league career. It's not a lock he'll get regular playing time, but I think with his versatility, he'll certainly be out there as much as any other catcher who gets regular days off. The beauty with him is, he might get some of his starts not catching and wearing himself out.

He only played 20 or so games at third. Plus he's a pretty big fella. I don't know if I'd want Prince Fielder manning the hot corner for my squad. :-D

EDIT: On Baseball-Reference.com, I noticed a pretty big disparity between his posted weight when he entered rookie ball in '04 and his current major league weight. He jumped from 180lbs to 245lbs.
As somebody who has never heard of the guy before this week and have never seen him in action, this causes a little concern.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tommy John » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:13 pm

I have not seen the guy either, but especially weighing that much at 5'11 according to rotoworld. It's not like he is a Mauerlike 6'5. Seems he would be pretty pudgy and lack versatility at that weight.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:05 pm

With catchers, isn't Pudgy a compliment? Just sayin'... :-b

But what's with Molina? If Sandoval turns out to be too much of a manatee for 3B, would he oust Molina in '09? Or is Molina not even supposed to be with the Giants in '09? He's turned in a few offensively solid seasons, and he was the 3rd ranked C last year (in fantasy at least). He's also solid defensively, though his arm isn't what it used to be. Still, I don't see why the Giants would bench their current cleanup hitter (lol) in favor of a rookie.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Old_Style » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:With catchers, isn't Pudgy a compliment? Just sayin'... :-b

But what's with Molina? If Sandoval turns out to be too much of a manatee for 3B, would he oust Molina in '09? Or is Molina not even supposed to be with the Giants in '09? He's turned in a few offensively solid seasons, and he was the 3rd ranked C last year (in fantasy at least). He's also solid defensively, though his arm isn't what it used to be. Still, I don't see why the Giants would bench their current cleanup hitter (lol) in favor of a rookie.

No clue if Molina is expected to be with the Giants or not next season. If Sandoval is ready to contribute at a big league level, I could see them trading Molina though. He's one of the best trading chips they have.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bwanna » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:With catchers, isn't Pudgy a compliment? Just sayin'... :-b

No clue if Molina is expected to be with the Giants or not next season. If Sandoval is ready to contribute at a big league level, I could see them trading Molina though. He's one of the best trading chips they have.

Here's Molina's current contract:
12/06/06: Signed three-year, $16 million contract. 2008: $6 million, 2009: $6 million

Link:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... LB&id=2604
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 324)

Postby Old_Style » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:42 pm

I knew he was signed through '09.
If Sandoval is ready, I could see them moving Molina sometime before the deadline next season.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates