Orza: Steroids no worse than cigarettes!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Orza: Steroids no worse than cigarettes!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Orza: Steroids no worse than cigarettes!!!

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:44 pm

When will the union get a clue? Ugggh. The integrity of the game is at stake. :-t

Union Chief Rebuts critics
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- Amendments to Major League Baseball's drug testing policy don't appear like they are in the offing, at least not in the immediate future.

Gene Orza, chief operating officer of the Major League Baseball Players Association, offered a pointed rebuttal on Thursday to the league's public cry for a more stringent drug policy in the wake of the BALCO scandal.

"Let's assume that (steroids) are a very bad thing to take," said Orza, who was speaking on a panel at The Octagon World Congress of Sports. "I have no doubt that they are not worse than cigarettes. But I would never say that to the clubs as an individual who represents the interests of players, 'Gee, I guess by not allowing baseball to suspend and fine players for smoking cigarettes, I am not protecting their health.'

"Whether it's good or bad for you, it's a far cry to say that because it's bad for you, you should participate in a structure which allows your employer to punish you for doing something that you shouldn't be doing," Orza said. "That's not my understanding of what unions do for their employees."

Orza cited two national studies on androstenedione, a steroid precursor. One done at Iowa State University concluded that the supplement, when taken in doses suggested by the manufacturer, does not increase muscle mass. The other study, jointly commissioned by the league and the union, concluded that if a person takes more than the suggested dosage, andro could increase muscle mass.

"You can take two aspirin, you can take 40, but should we in fact regulate aspirin sales more than we do now, because if you exceed the recommended dosage, it will have harmful effects?" Orza asked.

Although media reports have suggested that the league can invoke a clause in the collective bargaining agreement that will allow them to test players whom they believe might be using steroids, Orza called the reports understated.

Orza said that under the agreement, if a club has "affirmative evidence" that a player is using a substance on the prohibited list, the club can refer the player to a panel called the Health Policy Advisor Council. A doctor then has the capacity to look at that individual and if the physician concludes that there is reason to perform testing, things can proceed.

"Simply because you refer a person to the committee doesn't mean that they will be tested," Orza said. "Then you could just refer anyone you want."

Orza said he is disturbed about how quickly society has implicated the players in the scandal.

"There are thousands of pages of documents available to the public -- there are investigative subpoenas, there are reports on investigating agents (supplements), there are all kinds of material that would lead you to conclude that this is an extremely thorough and complete and exhaustive investigation over the course of many, many months," Orza said. "And the federal government hasn't charged one ballplayer with a crime ... The government chose not to charge them and the entire country is charging them nonetheless, what does that say about the chargers?"

Barry Bonds is one of a select group of players who reportedly received steroids from BALCO. Bonds' agent, Scott Boras, who was also on the panel, spoke up for his client.

"Since he stepped into my office in 1996, I believe he weighs four or five pounds lighter than he did then," Boras said. "I've seen what he's done with Jerry Rice, his programs and his conditioning team and his extensive regimen."

Boras did say that he thought many people were making the leap in suggesting that drugs that have been deemed performance-enhancing actually significantly affect performance.

Said Boras: "Certainly there is a question that has been drawn about what these supplements do and what they have done to the game and the fact of the matter is there has not been a lot of evidence that has been brought forth that there is a significant relationship between any of these agents and the fact that there has been performance."
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KPucks » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:54 pm

what an idiot
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mighty Monks » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:06 pm

seriously, why even open your mouth if you are going to respond with crap like that. It is just going to make him look worse than he already does
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrmarley » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:16 pm

Not trying to defend him, but I'm pretty sure it's either misquoted or he mis-spoke...I think he either said or was trying to say:

"I have no doubt that they are worse than cigarettes."

Then he goes on to make an example of smoking...

Who knows though :-?
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:39 pm

the thing I don't get is how there can be any comparison at all. Misquoted or not,l they aren't even in the same league. Cigarettes first of all are legal. Second of all, they aren't performance enhancing. AT BESt they are performance neutral.

this is dumb.

Personally, I don't care if they are legal or not, jsut don't think it is fair that honest players don't take them, then the people who use them get the accolades.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: Orza: Steroids no worse than cigarettes!!!

Postby Casimir » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:30 pm

Is this guy in bed with Jeff Kent? Is he trying to rationalize in an indirect way that Babe Ruth 'roided up with Marlboros and Winstons and that's how he hit all of those HRs? Did Hank Aaron smoke, too?

At least he didn't try to parallel taking steroids to drinking beer. I've had a few beers in my day, and still can't hit for crap.
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:49 pm

I think you need to read again what Orza is saying and understand teh context. He was responding to a question which suggested that the union should favor drug testing because steroids harmed player's health.

In response to that, he makes a very valid point--that a union should not simply hand over its members' privacy rights just because something harms their health. Cigarettes, as he points out, are much more harmful to health than steroids. Yet, we don't think unions should allow an invasion of privacy rights and penalties for smoking.

Now, that certainly does not address the performance enhancement aspects of this, but that's not what he was asked about in the question. In response to the question asked, he gave an answer that is perfectly sensible.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby great gretzky » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:52 pm

no, I read that. We are still talking about LEGAL vs ILLEGAL activity. If steroids were legal, then it might be apt. Privacy rights aren't absoloute. Your right to privacy is not meant to facilitate illegal behavior.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:10 pm

great gretzky wrote:no, I read that. We are still talking about LEGAL vs ILLEGAL activity. If steroids were legal, then it might be apt. Privacy rights aren't absoloute. Your right to privacy is not meant to facilitate illegal behavior.

steroids are legal
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby ondeckb » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:15 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
great gretzky wrote:no, I read that. We are still talking about LEGAL vs ILLEGAL activity. If steroids were legal, then it might be apt. Privacy rights aren't absoloute. Your right to privacy is not meant to facilitate illegal behavior.

steroids are legal

Not in MLB......
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers