No Marmol in a doubleheader? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

No Marmol in a doubleheader?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No Marmol in a doubleheader?

Postby cruecu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:16 am

I picked this guy up for one day to help out my ERA and WHIP. I figure he has to get an inning with 2 games in one day. The Cubs used 7 different pitchers and no Marmol. Did Neil Cotts really need to throw in both games?
cruecu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: No Marmol in a doubleheader?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:21 am

Why pitch one of your best bullpen arms in two blowouts?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby cruecu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:28 am

If we're using that logic, why throw Wood or Samardzija? What's the difference? He just seemed to be the odd man out. It's not like he's pitched recently.
cruecu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jermhorse » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:47 am

go easy on crueca guys, he knows not what he speaks. Especially if he is trying to improve his WHIP or ERA in August...... by drafting one of baseballs up-and-coming, strikeout stud's, (MY MAN MARMOL) for one friggin' day!?!?

No Offense crueca, just talkin a little trash. What I find is that ERA, and WHIP are some of the hardest catagories to try and "fix" by watching the WW or drafting a player to fill a whole. My point is, that I might just forget that Scoring cat. this time in the season. For example.... a league I'm in right now I'm at 1100+ innings right now. No one pitcher has any chance of effecting what place you are in for that CAT. Even as a 2 starter. Last week Zambrono had a ERA of somethinf like 14.99 and a whip near 3.00, yet my team still is first in ERA and WHIP simply because my sheer number ofquality IP I already have and also the fact that Pitchers dont play every day. I know middle-men have killer ERA and WHip which can be very tempting, just remember Marmol and Broxton are probably some of the top middle men right now and niether are even at 65 Inn. When comparing that to most Aces who have already thrown around 150 inn. No matter how good Marmol is, u probably wont see any jumps in your point total in one week. JUST MY OPINION
jermhorse
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:52 am

jermhorse wrote:go easy on crueca guys, he knows not what he speaks. Especially if he is trying to improve his WHIP or ERA in August...... by drafting one of baseballs up-and-coming, strikeout stud's, (MY MAN MARMOL) for one friggin' day!?!?

No Offense crueca, just talkin a little trash. What I find is that ERA, and WHIP are some of the hardest catagories to try and "fix" by watching the WW or drafting a player to fill a whole. My point is, that I might just forget that Scoring cat. this time in the season. For example.... a league I'm in right now I'm at 1100+ innings right now. No one pitcher has any chance of effecting what place you are in for that CAT. Even as a 2 starter. Last week Zambrono had a ERA of somethinf like 14.99 and a whip near 3.00, yet my team still is first in ERA and WHIP simply because my sheer number ofquality IP I already have and also the fact that Pitchers dont play every day. I know middle-men have killer ERA and WHip which can be very tempting, just remember Marmol and Broxton are probably some of the top middle men right now and niether are even at 65 Inn. When comparing that to most Aces who have already thrown around 150 inn. No matter how good Marmol is, u probably wont see any jumps in your point total in one week. JUST MY OPINION

What if he is in a weekly H2H week? Two or three innings scoreless from Marmol could be really valuable.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:39 am

Cubs fan here. Marmol is their most important arm in the bullpen, and there was no reason to use him in two blowouts. Wood pitched because he's still trying to work out the kinks since coming back from the DL with the blister, so it was mainly mop up bullpen duty...no worries, Marmol is good to go.

But I like the logic of picking up Marmol for a doubleheader...it just didn't work out for ya, but it worked out for the CUBBIES!!! GO CUBS GO!
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)

Postby cruecu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Jermhorse: I AM in a weekly H2H league, so I hate to tell you that you wasted your time writing that whole post. Hopefully it helped someone. I've actually never played in a rotisserie league (maybe next year).
cruecu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jermhorse » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:53 pm

that makes more sense crucea. I obviously need to learn more about H2H, lol.
jermhorse
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates