Brian McCann - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian McCann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brian McCann

Postby decoy562 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:46 pm

Do you think he could be considered the #1 catcher going into next year? He has better numbers than Soto, Mauer no longer steals bases, and he's on pace to beat V Martinez's numbers from last year (except RBI's). One could even argue that V Martinez's numbers are inflated as a catcher, being that he has played many games at 1B.

Thoughts?
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brian McCann

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:48 pm

He'll likely be the #1 guy on my board going into next year. Give me another month and a half and I'll know for sure....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Old_Style » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:51 pm

decoy562 wrote:Do you think he could be considered the #1 catcher going into next year? He has better numbers than Soto, Mauer no longer steals bases, and he's on pace to beat V Martinez's numbers from last year (except RBI's). One could even argue that V Martinez's numbers are inflated as a catcher, being that he has played many games at 1B.

Thoughts?

As long as he is still qualified to be a catcher, that wouldn't matter.

To answer the question, I think McCann will be the number one catcher going into next season.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:57 pm

for me he is. in one of my leagues, i reached a bit for him after watching martin, vmart, mauer go earlier than i expected. i even typed "this is a reach, but it'll be worth it" as i drafted him. he's been arguably my most valuable player on that team. ;-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby decoy562 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Old_Style wrote:
decoy562 wrote:Do you think he could be considered the #1 catcher going into next year? He has better numbers than Soto, Mauer no longer steals bases, and he's on pace to beat V Martinez's numbers from last year (except RBI's). One could even argue that V Martinez's numbers are inflated as a catcher, being that he has played many games at 1B.

Thoughts?

As long as he is still qualified to be a catcher, that wouldn't matter.

To answer the question, I think McCann will be the number one catcher going into next season.

Yes, I guess I should have stated that fact as it pertains to catcher production in real life, but it doesn't matter for fantasy draft purposes. Good call.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Cow » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Brian McCann was the number 1 catcher going into this year in my book and he has improved upon that. Mccann can still hit .300 while smacking 30 at the catcher position AND IMO he is going to get better! Lock McCann up thats what I say. Heck I recently traded away Ryan Howard to open up a spot to keep McCann or perhaps another guy. So I like McCann more than Howard there I said it.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:11 pm

His numbers so far are in line with his sensational rookie season. I won't completely disregard 07 as a fluke since he did have numerous injury problems but that should be remembered going forward. He's had his share of injuries in his young career and as a catcher, it will only get worse. Talent isn't the question but his future health certainly is.

He will be the #1 catcher but unless I am in a deep league, I'll probably end up passing as someone will reach for him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Not to totally go off course, but I remember there was quite a bit of debate a few years back over who the better young catcher would be: McCann or Doumit.

While McCann is clearly the better choice at this point, if Doumit can put together another healthy and productive season, I see no reason why he can't jump a bunch of spots in the catcher rankings. In fact, he may turn out to be better value in 09 drafts (health permitting, of course).
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Doumit will be all the way a better pick during 09 drafts. People will reach and draft McCann within the rounds 3-4, and Doumit will most likely sit there undrafted until round ten, but produce only slightly worse numbers.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby decoy562 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:17 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Not to totally go off course, but I remember there was quite a bit of debate a few years back over who the better young catcher would be: McCann or Doumit.

While McCann is clearly the better choice at this point, if Doumit can put together another healthy and productive season, I see no reason why he can't jump a bunch of spots in the catcher rankings. In fact, he may turn out to be better value in 09 drafts (health permitting, of course).

Has he had a full healthy season? His ML stats only show he's played half seasons...has he been sent up and down a lot or just injured?
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers