A Jacoby Ellsbury/Jose Reyes comparison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Jacoby Ellsbury/Jose Reyes comparison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Jacoby Ellsbury/Jose Reyes comparison

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Jacboby Ellsbury & Jose Reyes Comparison: Jacoby Is Better?
August 11, 2008

You know I have told others about my comparison between Reyes and Jacoby, and they laughed. They laughed until I showed them the numbers, then they acted like the Yankees after game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. Totally stunned!

Right now, as of August 11th, 2008, Jose Reyes has the following stats:

82 Runs, 12 HR's 50 RBI and 37 SB's with a .302 avg

Right now, as of August 11th 2008 Jacoby Ellsbury has the following stats:

68 Runs, 7 HR's, 33 RBI and 38 SB's with a .269 avg

Okay so you are probably saying that Reyes has 14 more RBI, 5 more HR's and a way better average and you would be right. So how could Jacoby be better than Jose? Glad you asked! Jacoby has only 391 at bats compared to Jose who has 493 at bats. That is a difference of 102 at bats.

So let's add about a 1/4 of Jacoby's stats to his totals to mark what might have been 100 more at bats. Doing the math we get 17 more runs, 2 more HR's, 8 more RBI and 10 more stolen bases. (I rounded off to the closest number).

Now Jacoby's totals are 85 Runs, 9 HR's, 41 RBI, and 48 stolen bases. Jose and Jacoby are supposed to be the same age but after Tejada was caught in a lie about his age, I cannot believe any birthday from overseas right now.

Jacoby Ellsbury right now is better in stolen bases yet Jacoby has just started while Jose has been on the road for a bit. We can expect to see Jacoby's numbers grow, possibly toward the Grady Sizemore levels. (though that is a lofty goal).

So next season, when you are drafting your team, look for Jacoby to get a little more respect. As for we of Red Sox Nation...we put up with the laughter when we kept Jacoby and said he would be a star. Now whose laughing?

DRAFTAHOLIC!!!
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A Jacoby Ellsbury/Jose Reyes comparison

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Reyes >>> Ellsbury. They are almost the same age but Reyes has been doing this for years. Plus he has more speed, power and OBP skills today so I don't think they are close at all.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Well Reyes plays short, which is his biggest advantage over Jacoby.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Yoda wrote:Reyes >>> Ellsbury. They are almost the same age but Reyes has been doing this for years. Plus he has more speed, power and OBP skills today so I don't think they are close at all.

Gotta agree with Yoda here. Reyes has what, at least 500 more games than Ellsbury in his career? Ellsbury needs both more time under his belt and a better approach at the plate before this is a legitimate discussion.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:16 pm

thedude wrote:Well Reyes plays short, which is his biggest advantage over Jacoby.

Bingo. With SS at a premium, Reyes easily justifies where he's valued. I don't quite see Ellsbury having the 20 HR power ceiling that Reyes has either nor the plate discipline Reyes has, which makes drafting Ellsbury fairly high like drafting Juan Pierre fairly high, a potential for sunk value.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:18 pm

I like my Ichiro comparison a little more....at least they play the same position.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Howie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Hell yes, I like this argument. This means I just bought low on "Jose Reyes" with Salomon Torres a week ago! ;-D

But in all seriousness, Ellsbury is pretty damn good but the fact that he plays OF really hurts him when comparing him to Reyes.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:25 pm

I'd say if I was going to compare him with anyone I'd pick BJ Upton.

You'd get a few more SB from Jacoby - but likely more power from BJ (just not this year)
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Reyes has a big advantage playing SS and has the potential to hit for a lot more power that Ellsbury.
Another thing about Ellsbury, look at his splits. Away from Fenway he has a .258 BA, .309 OBP and .352 SLG%. Add in the fact that Ellsbury has only stolen 3 bases the last month you're going to have a hard time selling me on the fact Ellsbury is better.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:01 pm

dclark0699 wrote:I'd say if I was going to compare him with anyone I'd pick BJ Upton.

You'd get a few more SB from Jacoby - but likely more power from BJ (just not this year)

I think even BJ is a stretch knowing that he has been playing hurt all season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers