Dunn to D-backs. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dunn to D-backs.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dunn to D-backs.

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 pm

before this deal, did anyone even think it was remotely possible for a trade of this magnitude to happen? who'd of thunk it would have been this complicated.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:33 pm

my understanding of the rule is that in order for a player on the 40-man roster to be eligible to be a PTBNL, he must not be on the active roster... micah owings fits this criteria

here is the list of d-back players on the 40-man but not on the active roster
Jon Coutlangus LHP
Emiliano Furto RHP
Juan Gutierrez RHP
Micah Owings RHP
Jalien Peguero RHP
Max Scherzer RHP
Doug Slaten LHP
Esmerling Vasquez RHP

Wilkin Castillo C
Robby Hammock C
Javier Brito IF
Josh Whitesell IF
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby joecahill » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:14 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:my understanding of the rule is that in order for a player on the 40-man roster to be eligible to be a PTBNL, he must not be on the active roster... micah owings fits this criteria

My understanding of the deal from the MLB article is that the two players who were called PTBNLs were actually agreed upon by the Reds & Snakes before consummating the deal, but that their names weren't announced because the players would have to clear waivers first. Maybe that's why the PTBNL rules seem to be out the window in this one?
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:21 pm

I would really like to see an official write up on this trade.

I'm very interested to learn how it worked.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 pm

From MLBTrade rumors:

5:05pm: According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the third player going to the Reds in the Dunn trade is catcher Wilkin Castillo. The 24 year-old ranked 14th among D'Backs prospects heading into the season, according to Baseball America. He is able to play many other positions as well.

So they got Castillo, Owings, and Buck
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joecahill » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:31 pm

The Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that a shoulder injury is likely what's holding up the Micah Owings part of the trade.
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Big Pimpin wrote: But the rules around PTBNL are that they have to be named within 6 months and they cannot have played in the same league as the team they're going to. So if you're a minor leaguer, you're fine. But Owings has played in the NL this year, which would make him ineligible to be a PTBNL in a deal with the Reds.

Owings was not a member of the Diamondbacks major league squad on the day the trade was made so he is eligible to be the PTBNL. He could not be on the 25 man roster and be named a PTBNL for another National League team, but he can be on the 40 man roster and be in the minors or injured(like he was) and be traded to the Reds after the season.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:48 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:From MLBTrade rumors:

5:05pm: According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the third player going to the Reds in the Dunn trade is catcher Wilkin Castillo. The 24 year-old ranked 14th among D'Backs prospects heading into the season, according to Baseball America. He is able to play many other positions as well.

So they got Castillo, Owings, and Buck

I'm pretty unimpressed with this from the Reds side. I think I would take my chances in the draft.

But I'm also not too hopeful on Owings as a pitcher (ppinions may differ eon this) and I think it's just way too risky to put alot of value on him as a hitter.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:01 pm

idk... I think Owings is a viable, backend starter - and that's more than you normally get from the average draft pick.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:24 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote: But the rules around PTBNL are that they have to be named within 6 months and they cannot have played in the same league as the team they're going to. So if you're a minor leaguer, you're fine. But Owings has played in the NL this year, which would make him ineligible to be a PTBNL in a deal with the Reds.

Owings was not a member of the Diamondbacks major league squad on the day the trade was made so he is eligible to be the PTBNL. He could not be on the 25 man roster and be named a PTBNL for another National League team, but he can be on the 40 man roster and be in the minors or injured(like he was) and be traded to the Reds after the season.

Good to know. The first thing I read said they couldn't have played in the same league during the year, so that was my confusion. If he just can't be on the active roster then it all makes much more sense. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers