Dunn to D-backs. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dunn to D-backs.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dunn to D-backs.

Postby EverybodyHits » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:39 pm

this is my understanding:

he's on the 40-man, so he absolutely has to clear waivers.
if they tried to take him off the 40-man, he'd have to clear waivers.

he was not traded as a "player to be named later"
they just withheld his name at the time of the trade because he will need to clear waivers
people are confusing this with "player to be named later", but its apples/oranges
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:26 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Someone just informed me that the other players included in the trade do not need to clear waivers, because it's just a trade.

Seems like a huge loophole to me. Can't you just put some utterly worthless player on waivers and then work out a deal with guys that would never clear otherwise?

:-?

yes they do have to clear waivers, but if they don't the team can just wait until the end of the season to name them in the trade
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Someone just informed me that the other players included in the trade do not need to clear waivers, because it's just a trade.

Seems like a huge loophole to me. Can't you just put some utterly worthless player on waivers and then work out a deal with guys that would never clear otherwise?

Well, anyone who is going to be traded during the season would need to clear waivers or be claimed by the team they are traded to. other players can be traded during the offseason. In this case, Dunn had to get through waivers, otherwise they couldn't trade him till the offseason. Any other guys involved in the trade can be put in as players to be named later, but they can't actually be traded until the offseason......

Essentially, the only guys that need to clear waivers are guys who the team wants involved in the trade this year.... Since the Reds don't care that much whether they get Owings now or in a month, including him as a player to be named later is fine.... GiantsFan 14 has it right...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:34 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:

Well, anyone who is going to be traded during the season would need to clear waivers or be claimed by the team they are traded to. other players can be traded during the offseason. In this case, Dunn had to get through waivers, otherwise they couldn't trade him till the offseason. Any other guys involved in the trade can be put in as players to be named later, but they can't actually be traded until the offseason......

Essentially, the only guys that need to clear waivers are guys who the team wants involved in the trade this year.... Since the Reds don't care that much whether they get Owings now or in a month, including him as a player to be named later is fine.... GiantsFan 14 has it right...

I don't think that's accurate. It is my understanding that you can't even be a player to be named later if you've played in the league you're being traded to during the year. Owings has pitched for the DBacks this year so he cannot be a PTBNL.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby joecahill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:26 pm

from MLB.com:

The teams had already decided on the two players to be sent to the Reds, but withheld the names because of the waiver process. All players on 40-man rosters must clear waivers after the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.

What remains unclear is whether Owings has been put on waivers yet. If a team with a worse record than the Reds were to block the club with their own claim, Arizona would have to rescind the waivers and the Reds would have to wait until after the season to complete the trade.

That leaves one of Seattle, Washington, Colorado, San Francisco, or San Diego.
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:37 pm

joecahill wrote:from MLB.com:

The teams had already decided on the two players to be sent to the Reds, but withheld the names because of the waiver process. All players on 40-man rosters must clear waivers after the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.

What remains unclear is whether Owings has been put on waivers yet. If a team with a worse record than the Reds were to block the club with their own claim, Arizona would have to rescind the waivers and the Reds would have to wait until after the season to complete the trade.

That leaves one of Seattle, Washington, Colorado, San Francisco, or San Diego.

Well the league that the player is in gets first shot, so it couldn't be Seattle.

The thing of it is though that one of the conditions of the PTBNL has to change leagues, which wouldn't be happening here.

I don't know, I don't get it. :-t :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:59 pm

it was reported that owings was claimed and therefore cannot be traded to the reds until the season is over
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Oriole Way » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Does anyone else not shudder when they think of the sheer amount of whiffs Dunn and Reynolds will generate hitting back to back in the lineup?

It's going to be a biblical amount of K's.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:11 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:it was reported that owings was claimed and therefore cannot be traded to the reds until the season is over

Yeah I get that. But the rules around PTBNL are that they have to be named within 6 months and they cannot have played in the same league as the team they're going to. So if you're a minor leaguer, you're fine. But Owings has played in the NL this year, which would make him ineligible to be a PTBNL in a deal with the Reds.

Or so I thought. :-b

I probably am missing some other part of the rules...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Oriole Way wrote:Does anyone else not shudder when they think of the sheer amount of whiffs Dunn and Reynolds will generate hitting back to back in the lineup?

It's going to be a biblical amount of K's.

epically awesome would be the choice of words i would use to describe that amount of K's.

also, my understanding of PTBNL was that they couldn't be CURRENTLY playing in the same league as the team the player is being sent to. i'm wondering if owings being in the minors at the time of the trade manages to get around this rule or if any MLB time in the league precludes him from being involved.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers