Any chance Fuentes still gets moved? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any chance Fuentes still gets moved?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any chance Fuentes still gets moved?

Postby Maris09 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:17 pm

The Rockies have imploded since the deadline, any chance Fuentes gets moved somewhere?
I know the waiver rules are a little complicated, so not sure if a team who would/could take him will even have a chance, just wondering though.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any chance Fuentes still gets moved?

Postby thedude » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Did he make it through waivers? I did not expect him too...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Howie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:24 pm

I dug this up from Rotowire. Seems like they want to hang onto him for at least another year.

Aug 1 Fuentes isn't as likely to leave as a free agent this winter as previously reported, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Recommendation: If Fuentes leaves as a free agent, the Rockies will be in line for two top-50 compensatory draft picks. However, in order to qualify for that offer, they need to offer Fuentes arbitration. He could accept arbitration and the possibility of a one-year deal with Colorado worth around $10 million. The Rockies recently confirmed that they will offer Fuentes arbitration.
RotoWire
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Howie wrote:I dug this up from Rotowire. Seems like they want to hang onto him for at least another year.

Aug 1 Fuentes isn't as likely to leave as a free agent this winter as previously reported, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Recommendation: If Fuentes leaves as a free agent, the Rockies will be in line for two top-50 compensatory draft picks. However, in order to qualify for that offer, they need to offer Fuentes arbitration. He could accept arbitration and the possibility of a one-year deal with Colorado worth around $10 million. The Rockies recently confirmed that they will offer Fuentes arbitration.
RotoWire

$10 million for 1 year seems about market value for Fuentes, probably even a little better. I mean, the guy's a solid, but not great closer. Don't most great closers get in the $15 million/year range?
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:19 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Howie wrote:I dug this up from Rotowire. Seems like they want to hang onto him for at least another year.

RotoWire

$10 million for 1 year seems about market value for Fuentes, probably even a little better. I mean, the guy's a solid, but not great closer. Don't most great closers get in the $15 million/year range?

8-o 8-o 8-o no.

i doubt fuentes goes anywhere. the only way he could would be for a team to claim him, and then get dealt to that team. i would assume most teams would claim, and fuentes would be awarded to a losing team, and then the losing team wouldnt want to pay fuentes.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:34 pm

RotoWire

The Rockies will offer arbitration (as a formality to getting FA comp), but there is very little chance that he would accept. He's going to want the multi-year contract.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 183)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:42 pm

kab21 wrote:

RotoWire

The Rockies will offer arbitration (as a formality to getting FA comp), but there is very little chance that he would accept. He's going to want the multi-year contract.

i doubt he gets a $10 million offer from anyone else.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
kab21 wrote:The Rockies will offer arbitration (as a formality to getting FA comp), but there is very little chance that he would accept. He's going to want the multi-year contract.

i doubt he gets a $10 million offer from anyone else.

I'm not totally sure that he would get 10M in arb either. I think he's a lock for 6-8M/yr for 3-4 yrs considering the money thrown at loogies that aren't even very good. I think that's better than hoping for 8+M in arb.

But I haven't looked at the closers available and who needs a closer to speculate too much on how much he can get in FA. I do know that Milwaukee needs a closer (a whole bullpen maybe) very, very badly.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 183)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:24 am

true. 6-8 mil would seem very doable for a lot of teams.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hot4tx » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 am

From KFFL:
FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports the Los Angeles Dodgers could be poised to claim Colorado Rockies CL Brian Fuentes when he's put through the waiver process. They just have to have a worse record than the Arizona Diamondbacks.

I am a lot more ignorant to the MLB waiver process than I'd like to admit. So... does that change anyone's thoughts on Fuentes going anywhere? Maybe to LAD?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers