12th pick in a 12 team H2H first year keeper league.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

12th pick in a 12 team H2H first year keeper league..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12th pick in a 12 team H2H first year keeper league..

Postby Rookie » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:18 pm

and I am looking for some advice. What would be a good strategy. I have never done a keeper league before let alone a H2H league. I am thinking whoever slips(yeah right) out of Soriano, Beltran, Prior, Garciaparra would be no brainers for me. But then who. Should I think long term or the best player available.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rookie

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jellyroll » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:33 pm

there have been several mock drafts you can look at on the cade

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2004 ... keeper.php

Personally around 12th pick I'd take V.Wells (25) or Pedro the below are gone.

Alex Rodriguez - SS, Tex
 Albert Pujols - 1B/OF, StL
Vladimir Guerrero - OF, Mon
Carlos Beltran - OF, KC
 Alfonso Soriano - 2B, NYA
 Todd Helton - 1B, Col
Mark Prior - SP, ChN
 Roy Halladay - SP, Tor
  Nomar Garciaparra - SS, Bos
Carlos Delgado - 1B, Tor
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Jellyroll.
Anyone else?

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:20 am

Come on guys. 1 reply. I am keeping my name anonymous because I am worried that one of my league mates might be scanning the site.

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:45 am

I'd be hoping Prior, Pedro, Manny, Maggs, then Nomar were available.

Since A-Rod, Pujols, Soraino, Helton, Vlad, Beltran will be gone, Bonds might be that would give you at least one of those players. If you get 2, you are off to a good start.

Since Bonds is old, I'd pass on him if you think the keeper league will be around awhile. Most don't last 3 years. I'd throw Delgado in over him. I'd pass on Halladay since you don't really want to buy high on SP. Pedro and Prior are worth the early pick. Halladay is no better than a SP you can get in round 3 or 4.

I owned Halladay last year, but I got him in like the 5th or 6th round. I passed on my personal favorites of Zito and Oswalt in the 2nd last year, both disappointed. Either could put up better numbers than Halladay and should easily be available to you in round 3-4. Grab Prior or Pedro if you can, other wise wait until round 3-4 for SP. Even if you do grab Prior or Pedro, consider a SP in round 3 or 4 as well. Don't draft RP too early. Let someone else take Gagne in the 1st or 2nd round. I usually don't even think about RP until like round 7, but I want proven guys. I'd be happy with Izzy, Percival, Hoffman...any of those types.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dubjay » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:29 pm

Thanks for the reply DGrounghog. I don't think that Halladay would be around by the 3-4 round though. What about Schilling? Would he be worth a 13th overall pick in a keeper league?
Dubjay
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby PirateFan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:13 am

you never can tell in a keeper league. this year i picked 11th in a 12 team h2h 5x5 new keeper league. i was able to get C. Delgado with my first pick then G. Sheffield with my second round (#14th overall). i liked shilling but i wanted delgado and couldn't pass up shef on the way back. IMO grab batters and see how the draft goes, you should be able to pick up a solid SP in rounds 3-4, and a position player if any runs are made. and watch for the big unit i picked him up in the 7th round, i thought the other managers were outa their minds, but he is often overlooked in keeper leagues.
PirateFan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Andy1234 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:21 am

I rank them as so (I'd take the top 2 with your pick):

1. A-Rod
2. Pujols
3. Soriano
4. Vlad
5. Prior
6. Beltran
7. Helton
8. Bonds (even in a keeper)
9. Pedro (even in a keeper)
10. Schilling (even in a keeper)
11. Thome
12. Delgado
13. Manny

I think Nomar should fall to you, I know you've said it would be a no-brainer, So I would take him if you want him.

Please Answer mine: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=36567
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:02 am

I didn't mean to say Halladay would be there in round 3-4. I think there are guys that are the equivalent of Halladay that will be available in round 3-4 like Zito or Oswalt.

Schilling would be a decent pick, but me personally I'd probably go for 2 bats if Prior and Pedro were gone. He's been a top 1 or 2 pick most years, so it's tough to boot him and Randy from the top 15 picks. I boot Randy out of the top 25, but Schilling could have another huge year.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby oklobbyist » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:31 am

Drafting last switch things up a bit. I'd go for the top two pitchers available. Probably Schilling, Oswalt, Hudson, Halladay, Gagne. Try it for the first four rounds (at least three) and you should have a very good pitching staff. Then go for the offense. You should end up with average offense and the best pitching staff...that you can then trade from for some top level hitting. Just a thought.
oklobbyist
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers